Plane fest.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Konrad Sauer was able to spend some time with me after the Tools 2005 show and we had some fun in the workshop trying a variety of planes on difficult wood. We had picked up some highly figured satinwood which tears out very easily unless planed with a very sharp iron and a very good plane - needless to say, Konrad's planes passed with flying colours and the Veritas BUS did a fine job too.

It seems strange to see my bench set up for left handed planing!

Konrad_planing.sized.jpg

He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
My 16 1/2 inch panel plane alongside Konrad's personal 22 1/2 inch jointer

Jointer_and_panel_planes_4a.sized.jpg

Jointer_and_panel_planes.sized.jpg

The satinwood we found has truly spectacular grain, Carefully sliced and inlaid it will make magnificent decorative elements in some future piece.
Satinwood.sized.jpg

Naturally we had to spend a bit of time sharpening!

Konrad_sharpening.sized.jpg

What a gloat! Personal training by your very own plane maker? Fantastic.

The plane was a gloat of gloats but thats in a higher league!

Adam

PS: That wood is amazing! I hope you make something fitting out of it!

That wood is sensational.

When is your 22 1/2 due for delivery? :wink: No one will believe that you haven't ordered one. Probably why you haven't quite finished the tool chest - needing to leave some room for it!

Cheers

Tim

What a post, Chris! Is this the sort of personal service that all S&S owners receive :?: :lol:

That tool cupboard looks to be close to completion - any news?

Cheers,
Neil

<edit> you need a bigger workshop, though :p - have you spoken to your architect yet?

Hey Chris, something odd about your setup - and its your bench. It seems a bit "lightweight", given the heavywieght furniture (and planes) you are making/using!

Adam

Ah - what a satisfying gloat! You done me proud guys :lol:

Tim, honest guv, no 22 1/2 on order - yet. I have a nice LN no 7 which is really all I need and my panel plane has been known to act as a jointer too. However Konrad did have some other nice styles at the show..

Neil, the tool chest is making slow progress - I am finally gluing up my last drawer front that has to be faced with ripple sycamore - the previous 19 took some time!

Adam, you are right about the bench, one of these days.. Actually, I hate to say this but I have been thinking about getting one made for me while I get on with other stuff!

Chris,
truely amazing, that wood is incredible too. Has it had anything applied to it or does it look like that straight from the plane?

Andy

Andy,
In this picture, the surface had been damped with white spirits but the surface was straight off the plane. The cuts we were getting were superior to anything else including sanding, scraping etc. - basically like glass.

waterhead37":1ou3ycva said:
Adam, you are right about the bench, one of these days.. Actually, I hate to say this but I have been thinking about getting one made for me while I get on with other stuff!

:shock: . You must be having a laugh! I could see the benefit of having someone dimension the stock though to final sizes.... - a local cabinet maker? or british hardwoods? tut tut tut :lol:

Adam

Chris

The planes are a top gloat, but having he maker in as well beats all gloats to date, well done. The wood and the cabinet look nice to.

I had a look at the Sauer website and quickly shut it down, don't want to go bankrupt.

Konrad stayed with us at the Tools 2005. I bet him he wouldn't sell one. BOY was I wrong! He'd have to tell you how many but I owe him a beer or six.

Note to self: Beer and little knowledge=less knowledge (sometimes coupled to humiliation, the almost inevitable type)

Martin

sounds like you need a deisel helicopter Martin :D

fantastic gloat Chris....nice to meet Konrad....what a nice guy. so whats the next plane your getting.

Ian

Back