Plane build for Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dh7892

Established Member
Reaction score
My Dad has expressed an interest in getting into woodworking when he retires and has already started tooling up. Since Christmas is coming up and I have always fancied trying to make a plane, I though I'd build him one as a present.

I made the body from some offcuts of Rosewood and the sole was an offcut from a guitar neck (maple and purple-heart).

Here are some pics:

2010-11-26-20-54-03.jpg

2010-11-26-21-19-41.jpg

2010-11-28-12-52-00.jpg

2010-12-05-15-48-50.jpg

2010-12-08-20-10-58.jpg

2010-12-18-14-19-11.jpg

2010-12-18-21-47-40.jpg

2010-12-18-21-48-50.jpg

Still need to give it a final rub down and some linseed oil and it's good to go. I'm pretty pleased with it. I think the pin needs a bit more shaping as it sometimes stops the chips ejecting properly.

I like the pitted effect on the blade. Gives it some character.

adidat":10rmzqfk said:
very nice indeed, you make it look all very easy

adidat

Thanks. The truth is: it really was very easy! You know those really annoying people who can just botch stuff together and it always comes out perfect? Well, I'm not that guy. I'm normally a bit of a poo Midas when it comes to things like this (everything I touch turns to rubbish). So if I can make it work then anyone can.

The metal work took a lot of time (must get me a milling machine if I want to do many more of these) and the hardening was a bit of a guess (I also had to make the charcoal before I could do it as no pipper sells proper charcoal at this time of year).

As with everyone else that's posted a plane build on here, I encourage anyone to have a go.

brianhabby":6z01ilih said:
You've definitely made it look do-able, well done.

I might even have a go myself.

regards

Brian

Go for it. And remember to post your results. I never get tired of looking at these builds.

Dave

I mean well done, well done indeed

but wtf was that blow gun thing in the snow? Presume it was tempering the blade but how?

astonishing

The hot air gun was just there to force some air onto the charcoal to make it burn hotter. The iron was in there during that photo but you can't really see it. Had a magnetic screwdriver ready to test when the iron stopped being magnetic. That's when it's at the right temp. Kept it in for about 15 mins after that to make sure it's heated all the way through. Then quenched it in some peanut oil until it stopped sizzling.

That charcoal sure does burn hot when it's got some extra oxygen forced onto it.

Back