plane blade upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies to the OP but........
Pete, I'm sorry, I must admit I was well surprised when I found out I'd won it, I too though it would go supernova,
I was first bidder and stuck £40.01 and walked away (went on holiday really) i just managed to get to a working pc yesterday sinceoriginally bidding three weeks ago and when my email said it won.......and it came in just below I think.
Previously........
First one I saw that would fit the 8 and I was just beaten by "a gatherer of old planes"
Second one was a hock and it was never posted, did get my refund after eBay stepped in for me.

At last I have a working 608C, hope I'm strong enough to push it :)

Hi Dave

It works like that sometimes, not a problem, I have a almost full length cast steel one in my Record No8.

Pete

I too was eyeing that hock combo up, but I'm under strict orders at the moment! Hope it works out for you, looks a great setup.

I'm really after a 2 piece clifton cap iron to go with my clifton blade in my number 8. But again, I'm under orders....

mickthetree":7r0vntpf said:
I'm really after a 2 piece clifton cap iron to go with my clifton blade in my number 8. But again, I'm under orders....
Good luck with that. No-one in the UK have any stocks left, except WSH - but at horrendous cost. Clifton stopped making that size about 5 years ago.

I bought mine throught Dieter-Schmid (Germany) about three years ago. Last time I looked they, and some USA outlets, still had stocks. Better not stay under orders too long or they'll all be gone.

Cheers, Vann.

edit: I just had a look at the Dieter-Schmid website. While they still list Clifton No.8 sized cutting irons, the No.8 cap-irons are no longer listed.

Yes, Matthew has them but out of price range at the moment. Hopefully he'll have some left by the time I'm allowed out to play again ;-)

I think he had to import them from America so had to cover his shipping costs. You can get them from the states still, but by the time you've paid the shipping and potential import duty it'd be about the same.

I got my blade form Mike at Clifton after I had an issue with my 51/2 but they had no cap irons left.

As an update to my Record No8 blade search I found a stay set No8 blade missing the end cap but I knocked up a replacement, so now it’s sporting an laminated stay set blade.

Pete

Another aside here - unless something has changed, the Wood River base plane irons were T10, which is similar to 1095 steel. They should have good toughness but at same hardness, will hold an edge less long than A2, and even a little less than O1.

You can affect edge holding by increasing hardness, though - at least up to the point that an iron starts to chip.

I'd imagine most of the perceived improvement is the decrease in feel that you get with a thick iron and cap iron (as in, if there's little bits of tearout, etc, you may not feel them with a thicker iron whereas pretty much everything is communicated to you on thinner irons...or thinner irons and lighter planes).

You are aware that Veritas make PM-V11 blades specifically for Stanley planes? These are a tad thicker than standard but fit without modifying the plane. These blades are the the very best on the market, bar none.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Flinn-Garlick saws now own the rights to manufacture the Clifton plane. I have a No 5-1/2 Jack plane (bought from Clifton (Clico)) and I swapped the 2 piece cap iron for a single one from Flinns. Personally I prefer the single piece cap iron. If the plane bodies are grey they are made by Flinn-Garlick, if they are green they are made by Clico. Flinn-Garlick sell a No 7 Try plane - not sure if that blade will fit a No 8

With regards to blades - I would go for a Hock blade and cap-iron (they sell them as a pair) - if you have a Stanley plane they give them a new lease of life

Have a look here: Thomas Flinn & Co.

Cheers

Dean

I love my Japanese laminated iron.they are thin and just superb. quangsheng are good as well. I think there both water hardening. hock Clifton etc are o1 oil hardening and I find them underwhelming. not bad but not quite there 4 me.

I believe the Japanese laminated irons are blue 1 or blue 2. Not sure if blue is water or oil hardening, but it seems plain to us because it's closer to o1 than some of our more alloyed replacement irons. The laminated irons are decent, but they have some weird behavior under the microscope that limits their edge holding to be equal to good o1 (Carbides come out and scuff up the edge).

mine is about 20 years old now and its still a lovely iron. I wouldn't swap it for any replacement iron.( apart from t10)
they are in fact made from single side knife blank steel. the o1 blades ive used(Clifton and hock) are no where near as nice in fact I suspect the Clifton was so bad it was faulty!
maybe its the variability of these items that causes issues. also the fact they are thin and easy to sharpen helps.

Pat Leach has a couple of unused Clifton irons, one with the "StaySet" cap, on his list that was sent out yesterday. Believe the price was north of $100 for all three (not sure of price). Seem to remember one of the irons was for a #8.

the hock blades + cap iron are incredible, I got one earlier this year and it definitely out performs most old blades, I got the 01 because it's my favourite steel and dead easy to sharpen, they are expensive though! I'd like to try their A2 blade as well but I suspect it won't leave quite as nice of a finish, I don't mind sharpening every 20-30 minutes.

Back