Plane blade storage solutions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I posted this on Wood Central but I thought I'd ask my wise friends from across the pond what they use to store their plane blades. I dropped a blade edge-down on a mechanics vise (again...) as I was getting out my crappy leather pouch; it's high-time I came up with something better. So what do you use to keep your blades out of harm's way (and from harming you)?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Frank

Well there you are, Frank; the same wise guy answer in both places... ](*,) :roll: We may be divided by a common language, but the jokes are the same. :lol:

I currently have mine in one drawer of my Moore & Wright Oak Engineer's Chest, but it's not ideal. Although engraving the angles on them has helped a good deal in finding the right one. I'm sure el Presidente claimed they were going to come up with something last time we had this discussion - I put my thinking cap on hold in anticipation and where's it left me? With a cold head and no blade storage. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2d7u1v2m said:
I currently have mine in one drawer of my Moore & Wright Oak Engineer's Chest

Driveby number 1: possession of splendid tool chest.

Although engraving the angles on them

Driveby number 2: possession of enough planes blades that finding the right one is a problem that needs solving?!

BugBear

I confess drive-by #1 was intended - hence the careful use of Capital Letters To Highlight The Full Suckishness Of Ownership. :lol: The second? The penalty for getting the bevel-up bug :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":27czcw9g said:
I confess drive-by #1 was intended - hence the careful use of Capital Letters To Highlight The Full Suckishness Of Ownership. :lol: The second? The penalty for getting the bevel-up bug :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I think you meant Bevel Up Bug?

Alf":3n2bwunz said:
I confess drive-by #1 was intended - hence the careful use of Capital Letters To Highlight The Full Suckishness Of Ownership. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/tour.html#photo_tech

Notice anything at rear-right of the bench... ? It's full (*), too.

BugBear

(*) I think crammed would be the technical term. Careful arrangement is required to get the damn drawers to shut.

plane_irons.jpg

bugbear":2k49b0jq said:
Alf":2k49b0jq said:
Although engraving the angles on them

Driveby number 2: possession of enough planes blades that finding the right one is a problem that needs solving?!

BugBear

Once Alf starts ordering the HCS blades to supplement her A2 irons, she's going to have to start using the Dewey Decimal System to organize her blades. :lol: :roll:

Dave,
Painful experience has taught me never, ever to leave blades unguarded like your arrangement - maybe I am just clumsy but we all have an off day now and then..

I have the same problem at the moment - spare blades here and there that I keep cutting myself on. :roll:

I was thinking of making something along the lines of what Dave has but dropped into the bottom of an appropriately sized box, possibly with some cork tile stuck to the inside of the sides to protect the edges.

FWIW

Cheers

I seem to remember a long time ago Rob saying they were working on a solution...Rob, oh Rob, where art thou oh Rob...

Me? I just keep 'em at the back of a drawer. Most have a piece of carboard slipped onto the edge if that counts.

Mike

MikeW":1ewzmd1c said:
I seem to remember a long time ago Rob saying they were working on a solution...Rob, oh Rob, where art thou oh Rob...

Me? I just keep 'em at the back of a drawer. Most have a piece of carboard slipped onto the edge if that counts.

Mike

I'm still waiting to see their promised winding sticks . . . .

and where are the side rabbet planes . . . .

and the skewed block plane . . . .

It's gonna be a BIG holiday catalog for Lee Valley !

:lol:

MikeW":1mpejf4z said:

Mike

Hi Mike -

Mold problems (warpage) on the first set of PPE cases, so they're not quite ready for prime time....

If any of you ever played saxophone... think of the cases reeds came in... like a clamshell, but very durable. Now make 'em really big!

The trick is - the cases have to survive a trip to the floor, and protect your razor sharp blades.... They should be here soon! (and a hangy doo-dah to store 'em in.... which is already in one of our warehouses, I believe...) ....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":2ajbb902 said:
MikeW":2ajbb902 said:

Mike

Hi Mike -

Mold problems (warpage) on the first set of PPE cases, so they're not quite ready for prime time....

If any of you ever played saxophone... think of the cases reeds came in... like a clamshell, but very durable. Now make 'em really big!

The trick is - the cases have to survive a trip to the floor, and protect your razor sharp blades.... They should be here soon! (and a hangy doo-dah to store 'em in.... which is already in one of our warehouses, I believe...) ....

Cheers -

Rob

Man, he ignored my goading completely! :cry:

ydb1md":1bfg6t7g said:
I'm still waiting to see their promised winding sticks . . . .

:lol:

Oh.... you will..... everyone else on this board has already seen 'em.

They were the subject of considerable discussion at the Axminster show.... :wink: :wink: :roll:

They're on the back cover of January catalogue - and the subject of the "Dear Customer" letter....

Skewed rebate/filetster is almost done basic design, and is about to head into modelling.

Skew block is down the list somewhere.... there's a few things ahead of it....

Cheers -

Rob

Now that's more like it! I knew if I could bring Rob into this discussion I wouldn't have to make a blade holder at all. :D I'll just wait to see what LV comes up with. As long as they don't look like my daughter's brase case... :lol:
Thanks everyone for your other solutions. Who knows, if I drop another one soon I'll probably put everything on hold and make a box anyways. I am finally thinking of a small box with dividers, I might follow through with it anyway and keep all kinds of other stuff in it too. Got to get those dang chisles done...boy am I slow...
Alf, I thought I pulled a driveby with my engineer's vise...( :lol: ). Shame on you! Wish I had room for drawers in my shop (all my drawers are so high they make better fragmentation bombs than storage solutions).

Latest posts

Back