Plane and Chisel Recommendations??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, Frank's advice is exactly what I would have given (so it must be good :) ).

You wrote, if I only ended up using a LA smoother with a HA blade I might as well just get a regular smoother . It is important to realise that the LA Smoother is more than a LA plane. It is unfortunate that the name obscures this issue. Indeed, I have suggested to Rob Lee that the name be changed to something like "bevel up plane" (or something to reflect this) since planes with this configuration have advantages over the bevel down brigade that go beyond simply a choice of blade angles. In a nutshell, the bevel up planes provide a more secure bedding for blades than those with bevels down. So their performance is always going to be potentially better. Throw in the fact that the BU planes also have adjustable mouths and one can vary the blade angle, and I warrant that the future of plane-making lies you-know-where.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike
You say you are going to get more serious about your woodworking? Planes have a habit of becoming, shall we say, addictive? For instance........
finished%20cabinet3.jpg

Just a warning-the slope is veryyyyyy slippery! :roll:
Cheers
Planely Mad Philly :lol:

Philly, where does your LV LA fit into that cabinet? Or does it go in the secret one on the other side of the wall? :p

Cheers,
Neil

Well spotted that Man!
That picture is a bit out of date-the Knight smoother has had to make way for the Veritas (at least until plane cabinet #2 comes along :roll: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Very funny! :lol:
Did you see the episode of the New Yankee Workshop where Norm actually got to have a look at that toolbox? An eye-opener alright! That box is amazing, everthing swings up or open to allow the tools at the rear to be accessed. Ebony, ivory, mahogany-built by a piano builder, I beleive.
Nice one Derek
Philly :D

Frank D.":1sbo5fy0 said:

Nope, you weren't kidding were you.:shock:

Adam

Not bad Frank!
You could do with a few more block planes though.......... :roll:
Cheers
Sad Plane Loving Philly :lol:

Sawdust Producer":13oqmkzv said:
Nice looking fleet you have there Frank 8)

What is that with a cranked handle bottom center of picture ?
Thanks,
That's a sumitsubo, a Japanese ink line. It's like a chlk line but more precise. I like it for laying out long cut lines (over 6 feet) and for laying out lines on firewood or big pieces like posts and beams. Can't say I use it very often but I'm glad I have it when I need it. Oh yeah, it's also a good luck charm, when you have one it's impossible to make mistakes. Sometimes Japanese carpenters leave one inside a wall when they build a house or any building (so the house won't fall down).
Frank

Now that's a nice selection, Frank, spoilt only by the second best bevel up jack... :wink: But how on earth d'you decide which one to use? Whichever's sharpest at the time? :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
sharpness is most often the deciding factor, as well as distance from the bench and how many beer bottles I have to step over :wink: .
Actually there's a LV low-angle jack hiding with my Lie-Nielsens at the other end (you can see the front knob). I use it for regular bench work (with 2 blades) and I use my LN as a super-smoother (it's always sharp and has a high angle blade only).
Frank

Frank D.":1aj8dh5s said:
Actually there's a LV low-angle jack hiding with my Lie-Nielsens at the other end (you can see the front knob).
So there is. Silly me to think otherwise... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Good grief Frank, that is quite an enviable collection. Are they always that clean? Nice workshop and space. Any more pics of the workshop, itself?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Actually Derek the workshop isn't mine. I was giving a planing seminar (on how to go from rough stock to finished with planes) at a friend's workshop out in the country. I live in the city and my workshop is quite small (I won't be mean because I saw just how small workshops can get when I visited this site), 10.5 by 14 feet. I brought my planes and we laid them out on his bench before the seminar, so the pic. I must also admit that the Veritas #6 in the foreground and the Veritas large shoulder plane aren't mine, they were lent to us by Rob Lee. Si I don't have too many pics of my own shop, it's so small I can'T get in a good pic of an entire wall. Many have said they were amazed at my efficient use of space though, if you want to be a tool junkie in a small shop you have to be quite imaginative.
Frank
Oh yes and no they aren't always that clean...I do use them sometimes but I always tell them to look clean when they travel. :wink:

This is a contentious issue, but the following Wood Central thread may convince you to view this issue differently. That is, that the weight of the hand plane has little to do with its performance.
Derek

Nope. Sorry, don't agree.

I tried my two smoothers today and the weight of the 4 1/2 (considerably more than the LN LA) makes a massive difference on long hardwood boards

The reason is pretty clear when one considers elementary phsyics. A heavier plane has more momentum and so will take a lot more stopping (or deviating form chosen path) in line with Newton's second law of motion - this is where I feel the advantage in use.
I can easily push my 4 1/2 through a longish board of very hard wood, but the LA often doesn't make it to the end in one go

Also, I can push my #6 and #7 through the long boards more easily than the 4 1/2 due to their additional weight (momentum) - they have the same blade width and angle as the 4 1/2

I tried 'em all today to check this out and the above is what I found to be true. Newton was right #-o

Tony":1ewlwyw9 said:
This is a contentious issue, but the following Wood Central thread may convince you to view this issue differently. That is, that the weight of the hand plane has little to do with its performance.
Derek

Nope. Sorry, don't agree.
<Alf steps swiftly to one side in order to avoid any stray shots from the ensuing fray> 8-[

Cheers, Alf

I agree with Tony. Never mind the theory waffle, I find, a heavier plane carries through tough bits more effectively. It seems commonsense to me really.

Ike

Back