Plane advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight":2k3af1pv said:
Sounds like you're working similar stock to myself... With that in mind, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the L-N #5 1/2, adding a couple of spare blades (honed to different radii) and a high angle frog to the shopping list. It has enough mass to handle fast stock removal with authority (backing up behind a scrub plane for instance), it's long enough to start the jointing process in long stock, just about light enough to use for long periods without causing excessive fatigue, and when re-tuned, can work as delicately as you like on most of the more stubborn grains you'll encounter. Additionally, if this is the first of a few bench planes you have in mind, the frogs, blades and chip-breakers are interchangable with the #4 1/2, #6 and #7.

I tend to work my stock from rough sawn boards to dimensioned stock entirely by hand; the #5 1/2 seems to get the most "hands on" time... really versatile tool... joy to work with
...and a LV BU jack will do all of that with one blade. Re-hone a higher micro-bevel for awkward stuff, so with a few swipes on the waterstones (or whatever) you can achieve an effective pitch of almost anything you like, in addition to which the mouth will close down to nearly zero (provided the blade has been honed square) I was so impressed when I got mine (I won it from F&C :mrgreen: ) that I now use the family of LV BU planes exclusively as anything else (inc my Norris) just doesn't cut the mustard. I could almost guarantee that if you tried a low angle BU plane you'd probably feel the same way, but as ever, everyone has their own ideas on what suits them. The golden 'must do' rule though is 'try before you buy' - Rob

...and a LV BU jack will do all of that with one blade. Re-hone a higher micro-bevel for awkward stuff, so with a few swipes on the waterstones (or whatever) you can achieve an effective pitch of almost anything you like, in addition to which the mouth will close down to nearly zero (provided the blade has been honed square)

As does my L-N #62... my point about the #5 1/2 was that based on experience, the #5 1/2 seems to be more versatile, definately has more authority when working awkward grain simply through having more mass to it. It would be interesting to see a side by side test between the #5 1/2 and the wider L-V BU panel plane... I doubt there'd be much to chose between them in performance.

Just to update, I settled on the no. 62 plane first, I was discussing it at work with one of my colleagues and happened to mention I had got to down to a choice between Quengsheng, Lie Neilsen or Veritas, now to be fair I'd already ruled the Veritas out as i intend to expand my collection slowly and prefer a more traditional look to the Veritas models. So that left 2 to choose between, my colleague had a Lie Nielsen albeit a number 4 set for smoothing which he brought in for me to try, I have to say it felt so well made and solid to use and comfortable for my hands.
A lot of the above advice was to try before you buy and as this plane albeit a different model felt so good I have ordered a Lie Neilsen for Classic Handtools which should arrive tomorrow along with a spare blade which I can sharpen to a higher angle.
Thanks all for your advice very constructive and I shall be sure to review the plane as soon as I get a good chance to have a go with it.

Now to open a new can of worms over in Handtools.

Back