Planar thicknesser advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnorton

Reaction score
Hi everyone, after a bit of advice.

I have a Sip 01552 planer thicknesser, seems like a clone of all the other budget options. I have had it maybe 9 months, but have had a problem (always had) of it overheating and cutting out more often than I'd expect. I can barely get a 150mm softwood board through the thicknesser, taking probably 10 passes, and 3 overheats, to shave off 3mm.

So my question is, has anyone experienced the same? Does it sound faulty? I've no experience with any other planers. I'm going to change the blades and see if that helps.

Yes, that sounds faulty! Or there’s something amiss with the set up.

Does the wood drag on the tables Causing undue strain?

Try waxing the input and output tables with machine lubricating wax. I also found when I wanted to thickness a short length of wood from outside, the high moisture content made the planer work much harder.

Does the wood drag on the tables Causing undue strain?

Try waxing the input and output tables with machine lubricating wax. I also found when I wanted to thickness a short length of wood from outside, the high moisture content made the planer work much harder.
I'll give that a go, the woods not particularly wet, 15% moisture.

I have the Triton version of that model, and the internals are not exactly the greatest quality. You may find it's not overheating, but it's the safety switch that's not registering properly (and pops "open" under vibration). If I recall correctly, it's engaged by the dust chute, and won't run if it's not fitted.

It's worth removing the front panel and checking the belts too, as mine was in a pretty poor state, with bits rubbing and shaving the edge from the belts.

It'll not spin that easy, the complete drive train includes the in and out feed rollers.
Blunt blades will give it trouble, I find it quite amazing, that manufacturers put cheap and often blunt, knives, blades and cutters in their tools.
The best advice given here is machine waxing the tables...
You will be surprised at the resistant force created by the downward pressure of the feed rollers...
Cleaning and waxing the table, will cure your problem👍

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get some wax on the beds, and have a look at the internals. Are there any good quality 'aftermarket' blades about, or am I stuck with the ones from Sip?

My machine has thicknessed tons of Larch and oak. New blades and don't take too much of a bite on one go. I have replaced belts and cutters a few times. They are cheapos but can do a job for you.

Back