pivot and offset pivot hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A current project has doors that are flush with the face of the cabinet. I want to make the gaps around the door as narrow as possible and I want to use inconspicuous hinges. Not wishing to bore you with the structural reasons but a pivot hinge is the only answer. There are some examples here: http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... inges.html

Which will give the narrowest gaps, the pivot or offset pivot? Or does the offset pivot just give a wider door opening.

Anyone with experience of these that can offer me some advice as to fitting?

Roy

Roy...

if I'm reading this right... the pivot hinges will let the door open to 90deg...
the offset pivot should let the door swing thru 270deg..

just to be sure we're on the same wavelength here...the offsets are P shaped..??

That's right Mike.

My thinking is that the plain pivot hinge will cause the edge the hinge side of the door to catch unless it is rounded over or you leave a big gap. I reckon that with the offset ones, as the pivot point is effectively in front of the door, you need zero clearance (at least at the hinge side of the door).
I can't find anything on the web with fitting instructions though. I'd also like to find something cheaper. More common seem to be the ones where the pivot point is offset forward and to the side: http://www.daro.com/products.asp?catego ... ivot+Hinge but I can't get my head around how they would operate in practice. I also can't understand why there should be left and right handed ones. I think I may just have to send for some of these cheaper ones and do some experimentation.

Roy

aside from Brusso, if there are any online UK based suppliers, Yahoo can't find em...
lost count of the number of stateside hits tho...

is it just me thinking that it's high time UK retailers woke up to the market they're loosing...???

Mike

Thanks for looking on Yahoo. I couldn't turn anything up on Google either. I don't think i can justify the Brusso ones as they would probably be worth more than the cabinet.

is it just me thinking that it's high time UK retailers woke up to the market they're loosing...???

Don't start me on that one!

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy
I'm sure you have realised by now, but just in case you haven't....
The hinges are handed because if they were not, all your lefthand doors would fall off the pin as soon as the door was opened. :)

Cheers
Steve

The Ironmongery Direct catalogue seems to have what you want. You might need to order one, though, from IronmongeryDirect.com.
Hope this helps.
If you tell me the size you are after I can check for you, if you like.

SF

Steve

:idea: (thanks for that).

SF

Thanks for the link but I couldn't see any of the offset variety of pivot hinge (the 'p' shaped ones) on the website, just the straight ones. Are there things in the catalogue that aren't on the website?.

In general Ironmongery Direct seem a bit more expensive than Isaac Lord or Woodfit. On that subject I have noticed that both these suppliers show prices on the website that are quite a bit more than the prices I get when I phone an order. You'd think the website prices would be cheaper if anything. To quote Mike again:

Roy

Roy
Now that I have taken a better look I think you are right. They don't seem to have the P type. Sorry! I think I got so excited when I saw the straight ones that I confused myself into thinking the others on the page were what you want. No help at all really!

SF

Midnight":2zr1apnu said:
Roy....

I kept browsing.. found Brusso hinges..exactly the type you're lookin for..disgustingly cheap too.... at Rockler. I donno how shipping affects an order from them; maybe Charlie can advise...

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_de ... ngs_id=271

their website":2zr1apnu said:

We will send you a quote with different shipping options for delivery to your country. If you order via the Internet, we will e-mail you the quote within 24 hours. Otherwise, please include a fax number where you can be reached at. Upon receipt of your confirmation of the shipping method and charges, we will immediately send your order and bill your credit card for the order total. Note: Customer is responsible for paying customs charges and any other applicable fees or taxes required.

Mike & Adam

Thanks for that. All a bit adventurous for me but I guess there's no harm in getting a quote. I suppose VAT will be payable in the UK though if I import them.

Roy

Roy...
technically VAT should be payable, but it isn't always charged. To date I've been charged for only 1 oversees import out of 7 orders.

Thanks Dave

In the end I bit the bullet and got the Brusso hinges from Classic Hand Tools http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/ . Seem like nice people to deal with. I wanted a bit of advice on which to buy and the bloke in the know was out of the office but returned my call the same day on his mobile and took the order. Got the hinges a couple of days later.

They are superb, but oh the price. I only needed two of the smaller ones fortunately.

Roy

Latest posts

Back