PINTEREST

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alder

Established Member
Reaction score
I googled a search for a project and PINTEREST came up with offers. Is PINTEREST a free service or is a there a fee payable?
thank you,
Russell

Alder":2cpofmv9 said:
I googled a search for a project and PINTEREST came up with offers. Is PINTEREST a free service or is a there a fee payable?
thank you,
Russell

Not sure if it's free or not. What I do now is that after signing up, I seemed to be bombarded with stuff that I had no interest in. OK..I might not have set it up right but I binned it.

free. you need to register or download the app I think. the idea is that you can find projects and pin a link to your Pinterest boards. clicking on the link should take you to the original source, so you create a collection of things that interest you, eg tables. if somebody else is searching they may find your board, and like similar ideas.

On a PC or laptop it's a website thus free to read.
Scrolling down the page invokes the log in overlay. To dismiss it & carry on reading, click on the X in the top right corner (of the overlay not the browser).

RogerS":de5i5jlx said:
Alder":de5i5jlx said:
thank you,
Russell

Not sure if it's free or not. What I do now is that after signing up, I seemed to be bombarded with stuff that I had no interest in. OK..I might not have set it up right but I binned it.

Exactly the same. Spammed to the hilt

FWIW, you can tame its spamming ways by turning off all the "notifications" it deems to chuck at you. And, while free, it does throw in a number of adverts (non invasive ones) into the lists it displays.

The recommendations are hit 'n' miss but it does attempt to learn from what you look at and pin. It's still a bit meh though.

What I do hang on to it for is improving on an initial idea. Go search for something you're looking to make and click on an image you like. It then lists similar things down below and you can gleam a few design ideas from there and pin them to a [public or private] board for future reference. That's the main utility as far as how I use it anyway i.e. pinching other folks ideas (hammer)

Nelsun":2k0n9so5 said:
FWIW, you can tame its spamming ways by turning off all the "notifications" it deems to chuck at you. And, while free, it does throw in a number of adverts (non invasive ones) into the lists it displays.

The recommendations are hit 'n' miss but it does attempt to learn from what you look at and pin. It's still a bit meh though.

What I do hang on to it for is improving on an initial idea. Go search for something you're looking to make and click on an image you like. It then lists similar things down below and you can gleam a few design ideas from there and pin them to a [public or private] board for future reference. That's the main utility as far as how I use it anyway i.e. pinching other folks ideas (hammer)

That's pretty much how I use it - although looking at the "abandoned places" pages and the "beautiful starircases" pages is pretty awesome too.

Actually I use it quite a lot for all sorts of "maker" ideas.

I use it quite a lot for ideas, it’s simple to use & the quickest free way I’ve found of seeing a myriad of images of the topic I’ve searched.
I use it via the app & simply turn off notifications it’s not difficult & I'm certainly no computer wizz but don’t get any spam off them.

It's just another play on the same thing that facebook and others are. It's "free", but the amount of harrassment you'll get in an attempt to get you to go back there and create a data trail (so they can sell your habits for targeting ads) just isn't worth it to me.

The obnoxious part is that I'm sure they spend a lot of money to get their searches put up high on google, so you'll often get directed there for pictures searches on tools, etc.

D_W":1bqrgsyt said:
......... I'm sure they spend a lot of money to get their searches put up high on google.......

Another good reason to use Duckduckgo. There the search results are ordered by popularity rather than by the amount of money paid to secure a high position. And it doesn't track you, or sell your data on to others.

Thank you for your replies. After due consideration i think my needs can be met elsewhere and i will try the PINTEREST unsubscribe button.
Russell

I don't know why several of you get spammed.
I have a Pinterest account but I rarely log in to it, even though I browse the site.
I haven't had an email from them for a number of years.
Perhaps I unsubscribed from being contacted.

I use the pintrest app all the time, I share boards I make with clients, many for colour and material examples.
I've been using it for too many years to remember and I've never received an email from them.
Here is an link to a board I used to give a client an idea of what they are getting...... its all very easy to use and saves me hours of my time in research
https://pin.it/2PCL3lG

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Jonathan S":3mqs1pb4 said:
I use the pintrest app all the time, I share boards I make with clients, many for colour and material examples.
I've been using it for too many years to remember and I've never received an email from them.
Here is an link to a board I used to give a client an idea of what they are getting...... its all very easy to use and saves me hours of my time in research
https://pin.it/2PCL3lG

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

That’s an excellent idea Jonathan, =D> I do a similar thing but with a private Instagram account showing fitted bathrooms & kitchens I’ve installed so prospective customers can see what’s available.

Latest posts

Back