Pint-Proof Finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I'm looking for a finish that won't leave rings when you put a pint or booze splash on it for an extended period without going down the Epoxy route. I've done a little looking around on the forum and it seems Rustins 2-Pack Plastic Coat is the answer, anyone got any experience with the stuff in this kind of application?

Also open to any alternatives.

This is an ideal project for RPC, which requires you keep a wet edge. Making it work around a complex piece of furniture, or even a blanket box, can be a bit of a challenge .......but along a bar it'll be great. Seriously robust, too.

For my money, old school polyurethane varnish is pretty bullet proof. I've got a set of walnut coffee tables that I finished with poly some twenty odd years ago and the finish now is as good as the day is was applied. Failing that several coats of Osmo PolyX give good protection against the alchofrolicks :D - Rob

I know this is veering off somewhat but I am constantly amazed at the resistance to red wine stains that a pine scrub top has. Even big spills literally fade to nothing after a good wash or two.

That would work":18h9jbtt said:
I know this is veering off somewhat but I am constantly amazed at the resistance to red wine stains that a pine scrub top has. Even big spills literally fade to nothing after a good wash or two.
A scrubbed finish was one of the late and very great Alan Peters favourite methods of finishing. See the relevant section in his book 'Cabinetmaking, the Professional Approach' to see how he did it - Rob

Yes I have that book :D
I've had a scrub today actually and only very vague evidence of wine on a school night remains :lol:

Back