Pinnacle NL 1000 wood lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerbarus

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if any of you could help me. I have recently been given a Pinnacle NL 1000 wood turning lathe (Belt driven) that has given me great results. However at some point in the past the face plate for attaching the chuck has been lost and i need to find a new one with a centre bore of 28mm. The drive spindle has a central screw attachment for various heads but i am struggling to find a faceplate to screw on the outside. I'm new to wood turning so any advice would be great.
I did try to post this message yesterday but must have made a mistake so if it has already appeared please forgive me.

Thank you
Cerbarus

Can you attach a photograph of the lathe headstock front spindle fitting and the chuck rear face, it may be possible to adapt an existing face plate or turn up a new adaptor.

Cerabus, firstly welcome to the forum and to the slippery slope that we live on!

I'm sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but it would be helpful if you could describe what you are trying to do so that we can understand it correctly. My mind is in a senior moment and I can't find the correct word? :oops:

This may help you find the correct names for parts of the lathe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe

For instance, my chucks screw straight onto the headstock spindle and not onto a face plate. Blancs are secured onto a 'face plate' with wood screws to start the turning process until they can be mounted onto a chuck.

Photos are a GREAT boon, but I am not sure if you can post them before submitting 5 or more posts? I use 'photobucket' and if you are not sure how to do it there is a sticky, or here

photos-in-posts-t51727.html

Thank you jonzjob and CHJ for your warm welcome.

I will take some photos and see if i can get them attached to my next post as there is an option to input an image on the tool bar above. I hope with pictures i can make it a little clearer for you.

kind regards,

cerbarus

Hi, I have tried to add two photos through the upload attachment section but unfortunatly the error message 'Invalide file' keeps coming up.
Is there another way that i can do this?.
:?

Thank you,

Cerbarus

Mod Edit: Nothing wrong with image files, ensure you have a reference ending in a valid image type. CHJ
DSC02372.jpg
DSC02374.jpg
DSC02375.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02372.jpg
    DSC02372.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • DSC02374.jpg
    DSC02374.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,863
  • DSC02375.jpg
    DSC02375.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,888
I have used the photo bucket option so please see the link below.
I hope i have taken the photos at the correct angles etc an i apologies for the one that is a little blurry but it should give you an idea.

DSC02372.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

Mod Edit: to Display images correctly CHJ

Kind regards,

Cerbarus

cerbarus":1yf8d7yi said:
Hi, Are the photos any good to give you an idea?.

well...

1. you appear to have a drive centre mounted to the MT in the spindle - but without a thread protector which also acts as a puller for the drive. You may have some difficulty removing this.
2. as already said, a faceplate would normally screw onto the spindle thread and have mounting holes for attaching blanks.
3. the equivilent for attaching a chuck would normally be called either an adapter, or backplate. The dimensions will be both the spindle and chuck attachments.
4. you wlll need to establish both the diameter and thread on your spindle eg 1" x 8tpi I am afraid I don't know the dimensions of that lathe.
5. I'm not sure I would invest a lot in relation to that chuck, from what can be seem.

Firstly, appologies for not getting back sooner! :oops:

The photos are OK Cerbarus and it looks as if your headstock and bits could do with a bit of WD40TLC? But, the bit in the headstock is a 4 prong center and is a very common drive for spindle turning. The chuck that is lying at the bottom is a 3 jaw scroll chuck (I think) and should have a key to adjust it with. I only have 4 jaw chucks and that is the first 3 jaw that I have seen. No problems there as I have lead a sheltered life and I'm sure there are others who will shed light on that.

From the photo of the 3 jaw chuck it looks as if it should be possible to reverse it and use it as a face plate too? That is, you should be able to screw the chuck onto the headstock with the jaws facing the headstock and away from where you will be working, with your workpiece screwed onto what would normally be the back face of the chuck? That way you can turn the outside and bottom of bowls with it secured that way..

Anyone else with any other ideas here pretty please :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit : - Jumps, great minds like a think? Or should that be think alike? Our posts crossed in the post as it were?

jumps":ni82lswq said:
...5. I'm not sure I would invest a lot in relation to that chuck, from what can be seem.

+1 for that, that is an engineering chuck and will give very poor gripping characteristics on wood and almost none existent usability if it's soft wood.

Jonzjob":ap13hset said:
.....From the photo of the 3 jaw chuck it looks as if it should be possible to reverse it and use it as a face plate too? That is, you should be able to screw the chuck onto the headstock with the jaws facing the headstock and away from where you will be working, with your workpiece screwed onto what would normally be the back face of the chuck? That way you can turn the outside and bottom of bowls with it secured that way..

John. I think you have been living up to your signature line a bit too much. That's about the most bizarre suggested method of mounting an engineering chuck I have ever seen.

I have discovered that wine really does get better with age.
The older I get the more I like it!

Jonzjob":1ab2npt5 said:
Just had a closer look at the chuck and it doesn't appear to have a thread in the 'ole either?

It ain't intended to have one, it's an engineering chuck for a metal lathe and they are attached via a precision turned (often in situ for max precision) back plate. Much the same as the precision wood chuck from Axminster.

And now Chas, you know just how much I know about spinning dirty oily bits :oops: :oops: :oops: I have seen oily lathes and that is one reason I stuck to wood, BUT every time I start my lathe with the lovely, shiny, clean extention on the motor shaft I think of and thank you :D :D :D

I raise my glass of Minervoir red to you mate!

The whole lathe has been stored for a number of years and i am in the process of striping it and re-building. Thank you for your help and advice it is much appreciated.

Kind regards, Cerbarus

Back