Pinless Blade Holders for Scrollsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
In WiZeR's post about his scroll sawing experiences he mentions that his scroll saw doesn't have dual holders for pinned and pinless blades. Mine is the same but Axminster supply these:
furini-bladeholders.jpg

which can be used in my scroll saw.
Perhaps they'll do for others as well - or one maybe they're not up too much and i've blown a tenner!
I look forward to hearing any views.
Cheers
Stewart

excellent stewart, please let us know how it goes.

I'd be interested to hear how quickly you can change blades with those clamps and how friendly they are when it comes to piercing work. What sort of saw do you have, Stewart? I can't remember.

Gill

Hi Gill
I have an Axminster one, model FS18, made in the far east. It was sold off by my school for a tenner, I think. So if blade changing takes a time it still represents value for money, I guess. I did get two sets of blade holders so that might make life a bit easier.
Now to find the time to actually do something!
Still haven't done any of Norm's projects - just love watching the shows :norm:
I'll post a picture of the saw when I get home from school tonight.
Cheers
Stewart

Here's my bargain from school. It needs a bit of clean up and the bellows are on the perished side so the dust blower doesn't work - are they efficient things anyway? Is it worth replacing it?
detail

Any advice gratefully received!
Stewart

Hi Stewart

That looks worth a tenner of anybody's money :). If you haven't done so already, it would be sensible to put a drop of 3-in-1 on the arm pivot points. I'd also check the table for squareness to the blade by making a cut in a 3-4cm thick piece of timber, then inverting it and seeing how the cut lines up. Never trust the saw's own gauge! I can't see a speed control on the saw - is it single or variable speed?

I can't tell what sort of bellows the saw has but it could be worth taking a photograph. If you send the photo to Hegner UK, they might be able to advise you if they have a replacement which they could let you have - there's no harm in asking. If you can't get a replacement you could always hook up the blow pipe to a shop vac instead.

On the whole, I'd say it's worth getting the bellows repaired or a substitute installed for two reasons. Firstly, health; you can get fine dust generated whilst cutting which a blower will push down and away from you. Secondly, without a blower you'll find it difficult to follow the line you're cutting because dust will accumulate over it.

One of the shortcomings of most blow systems is that they are powered by the movement of the arms. If you're operating the machine at a slow speed, you might find the dust clearance to be inefficient. The only exception to this rule that I've found is the Diamond, which has an independent electrically powered blower. If you were to phone Doug Woodward, I'm sure he'd be able to supply you with the necessary bits to adapt your machine.

Gill

Stewart i'd say that's dead on same as mine, Apart from the colour I can't, from the picture, see a difference.

Thanks for the tips, Gill. I have to confess to not having thought about oiling the arms :oops:
here's a picture of the bellows - do they look like a standard sort of arrangement?
Scrollsawbellows.jpg

WiZeR, I thought the picture of yours looked rather familiar!

Who knows, I just might get round to scrolling some decorations for the tree before Christmas comes.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Here's a piccy of the bellows on my Hegner:

HegnerBellows.jpg

What do you reckon? I'm not so sure you could easily adapt Hegner bellows to fit your machine, but perhaps it could be done.

Christmas decorations? I'm almost ashamed to post these, but they were very early projects cut from some tree boughs scavenged in local woods. Despite all their faults, they still look good on the Christmas tree, so have a go. I'm sure I've got the patterns somewhere if you want them (but don't tell the trustees of the late Patrick Spielman's estate :-$ ).

Decoration3.jpg

Decoration2.jpg

Decoration1.jpg

Gill

Gill
the decorations look lovely - i'll definitely pinch the designs.
I'm not sure about the bellows - i'll give mine a closer inspection and see if anything can be salvaged, i did notice that there's a kink in the pipe which might explain the lack of blow!
the pinless blades arrived today so i'll try to get them into use tonight...ever the optimist :lol:
cheers
stewart

Hi Stewart ,
Don't now if there is enough room under the bottom arm of your saw,
but i have an ordenary tennis ball under my "Delta" saw ,
drill a hole in the ball big enough to take car screen washer tube , push the tube into the ball , seal with good old silicon sealer , and bobs your uncle!!!!!!!!! :D :D
the ball on my saw seems to stay put, but you may need to fix it somehow,..
good luck!--------- Frank-----------

Thanks for the tip, Frank
If the bellows have definitely gone you just might have come up with the answer I can afford!
Cheers
Stewart

Latest posts

Back