PING - Philly + James

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Philly,

Thanks for putting up the the Jet Jointer review on James' site. Good to know that you feel it is well worth the hard earned. I plan to get the Jet version as my local Jet dealer is slightly nearer than Axminster (by about 600 miles....) plus I've already negotiated an excellent price.

Many thanks

Noel

Hi Noel

One of the magazines, GWW IIRC, reviewed the Jet jointer about six months ago and they couldn't say enough good things about it.

The only "complaint" was the width of the bed.

I looked at it and was very impressed, but I do not have the space for separate machines.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers
Neil

Yes, I wish I had the space. :shock:

I must admit, if your pushed for budget - The Perform planer/thicknesser I looked at @ Tools 2003 was very quiet, and seemed to be quite good.

Neil,
Yes, the old "it could be a little bit wider" comment is true-but that is true of all the tools i've ever bought! No sooner do you have a shiny new table saw then you need to cut a panel and , oh dear, it's 20mm wider than the max width it will cut. (ditto- planer, thicknesser, bandsaw, etc...)
The advantage of the Jet (and all quality tools) is that accurate machining is a pleasure and so, an extra piece or two when glueing up wide panels is no big deal.
Having used the Jet for a while now I have no regrets about buying it. (only that it shows up some of my budget tools!).
(by the way, I team the Jet with a Dewalt 733 thickness planer-they work great together!)
Merry Christmas All!
Philly

Hi Philly,

The Jet and DW733 was the combination that I wanted until I realised that, due to lack of space, I had to go for a combined machine.

Hopefully, I will be getting the D733S next month, workshop space permitting.

The review of the Jet, in GWW I think, said the finish was awesome. Philly, I am envious. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Neil,
Yes, it does leave a nice finish-but it still needs to be sanded ( or hand planed if that is your bag!) or the minute machine marks show up once you apply a finish.
But yeah, they are great tools!
(save those pennys and don't tell the missus!)
have a good Christmas,
Philly :D

Hi Philly

Have a good Christmas as well.

The good news is that I have the money and the better news is that I have permission from SWMBO. :lol: :lol:

The bad news is that I don't have my workshop in a state to accept it. :cry: :cry:

Next month, next month. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back