Ping MDOTFLORIDA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

As discussed last week on the cricket thread here's a couple of pictures of the Jet SS bits
IMG_0379Rcd1.jpg

IMG_03802.jpg

Spot the difference? I think it's feasible. Worth a try anyway.

Noel

Thanks Noel.

As an update I can tell you that the parts have been ordered. Total cost for the arbor, plus the flange, nut and 2 new bearings in case I needed these, was less than $30 not including shipping.

Also, I was speaking to the guy who runs my local woodwork store yesterday. He originally supplied the machine and he does the repairs and build of all the machines there. He has said that when the parts come he will pop round to my workshop and do the work in situ. Saves me doing it and hopefully he will point out if we are compromising any safety aspects.

It's going to take a couple of weeks to get the parts but I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

Jeff

Good morning both

Can anyone join this clandestine dado club or do you have to own a Jet SS?

Oh, I've just remembered that I've got one. In which case I'll be very interested to know how you get on Jeff.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":2a92o4d6 said:
Oh, I've just remembered that I've got one. In which case I'll be very interested to know how you get on Jeff.

Neil,

Not being tempted by the dark side are you......... :shock:

Let the groove be with you Neil :wink:

Hi Dave

DaveL":3iea9j7c said:
Neil, Not being tempted by the dark side are you......... :shock:

Shhusssh. You'll wake up QDBS (Cornwall branch) if you keep this thread going.

Cheers
Neil

PS QDBS = The Queen of The Dado Blade Extermination Society

Newbie_Neil":6y3855tw said:
Shhusssh. You'll wake up QDBS (Cornwall branch) if you keep this thread going...The Queen of The Dado Blade Extermination Society
Shouldn't that be QDBES then...?

Anyway, not fair or accurate. I've nothing against dado blades per se, it's table saws as a whole I don't like. :p

Seriously though, what you guys choose to remove your digits with in your own time doesn't bother me one bit. Giving the impression it's the obvious/only serious way to go on a public forum does (and I'm not saying you have, but you know what I mean), 'cos Joe Newbie who knows diddly squat won't necessarily read it from the same viewpoint or with the same experience as you who wrote it. Does that make any sense? I don't much like getting cast in the role of the dado police quite frankly, but equally I hate reading accident reports - especially ones with graphic pictures. :x

Cheers, Alf

Jeff, that's great news and of benefit to you and the dealer. It was a long weekend in the states, so only got the pictures last night.
Yes Neil, you can join. cheques made out to me. I'm chairman of the board.

Noel, who does not have a SS.

Hi Alf

I thought that might grab your attention. I'm sorry, but I was just pulling your leg.

Cheers
Neil

PS You're right there is an E missing. :lol:

Alf":3bevgafb said:
Seriously though, what you guys choose to remove your digits with in your own time doesn't bother me one bit. Giving the impression it's the obvious/only serious way to go on a public forum does (and I'm not saying you have, but you know what I mean), 'cos Joe Newbie who knows diddly squat won't necessarily read it from the same viewpoint or with the same experience as you who wrote it. Does that make any sense? I don't much like getting cast in the role of the dado police quite frankly, but equally I hate reading accident reports - especially ones with graphic pictures.

Alf, I think we're all in agreement that safety is paramount BUT your reference to "only/serious way to go" dado etc is waaay out of context. Joe Newbie doesn't need to view this forum to think "that looks cool, I'll get an old carriage bolt, bit of superglue, a XYZ from Machine Mart and away I go". Joe goes into W H Smith and gets PWW, FWW etc and he sees 20 or 30 references per publication to what some view as unsafe practices, or watches Sky at 2.30 every weekday afternoon. Or perhaps looks at a US small weapons site and gets in to drive-by incidents. Or watches "Police Car Chases - Best Of" etc, etc. Granted there are Joe(s) around here who haven't quite got their marbles in the right order but I'd like to think that with some responsibile nurturing we can at least offer a guiding and informative opinion.
Woodworking can be dangerous, chisels can and do cut, a kid of 12 can walk into the local shed and buy a TS, Router, Stanley knife and any matter of tools that can cause damage. As long as we're sensible I see no problem.

Noel

Hmm.
I kinda agree with Alf that we should be careful here-but where do you get the "relevant info" from if not here? Pretty much everyone else in the Uk media and trade says "No to dado's", regardless of whether they truly are "illegal" or not as regards to H+S (yes, I'm going to mention reading David Free's web-site to get some facts on this). So it's nice to be able to get solid info somewhere.
As to "Us" being liable if someone hurt themselves with a dado after reading this-be honest, it's really hard to by a saw capable of taking a dado. Most newbies have a budget of diddly-squat when starting out. Which is why B+Q sell budget tools for pennies. Dado capable saws are not going to be bought by newbies-only sad, dedicated followers of Norm (and yes I include myself here..... :wink: )
So in my opinion (FWIW) please post your info here-there will be plenty of posts saying"don't do it" so Mods, your reputations are safe. A free exchange of info is important, especially in these Days Of Nanny.
hope this doesn't read like the ramblings of a madman,
Philly :D

Noely":32l5ig66 said:
Alf, I think we're all in agreement that safety is paramount BUT your reference to "only/serious way to go" dado etc is waaay out of context.
Not in the general context of being labelled an anti-dado person, which is what I was referring to. Should have made my disclaimer clearer perhaps.

Joe Newbie doesn't need to view this forum to think "that looks cool, I'll get an old carriage bolt, bit of superglue, a XYZ from Machine Mart and away I go".
I dunno, I think we can have a helluva lot more influence on the passing newbie than perhaps we realise. The number of people who've found themselves on The Slope is a bit of an indicator... The opinion/practices of real world, just-like-me woodworkers are always going to seem more real, possible and likely than something on the telly/in a book or mag. That's what makes a forum such an excellent resource, but it also means we have a measure of responsibility too, IMO. If someone puts forward an idea that I know to be unsafe or just plain stupid, regardless of what it is, dado related or not, I feel bound to say something. Otherwise the valuable resource becomes a hopeless mix of good and unchallenged bad info, and ceases to be valuable.

As long as we're sensible I see no problem.
Neither do I. I'll just have to put up with boringly saying there are alternatives to dado blades, and you'll just have to put up with me doing it! :wink:

Philly":32l5ig66 said:
Dado capable saws are not going to be bought by newbies
Erm, isn't there a nine page thread round here someplace where someone who's displayed some pretty fair indicators of qualifying for newbie status in some vital areas has been repeatedly encouraged to look at a dado-capable saw...? Are all newbies on the breadline? Don't assume just 'cos someone knows enough/has enough dosh to want to buy a dado capable saw they must know enough to not need obvious (to us) advice about using it safely or alternative ways to skin that particular cat. Also it seems it's pointless to expect anyone will have bothered to do a search on the subject either... :roll: :wink:

I know it's boring as hell that everytime this comes up someone, and often it's me, feels they have to say "watch it". I find it boring, for heaven's sakes, but until you dado folks put in disclaimers and such with your posts then someone else has to say "hey up, just a moment". You just can't assume whoever reads your post will have read some other thread that goes into the whys and wherefores of the subject. Not because the site will get sued, but because we're all woodworkers and we need to look out for each other. Anyway I've exceeded my boring old fart quota for the year, and it's only January, so I'll shut up.

"Let's be careful out there." "Yeah, let's stay in here..." :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Some fair points there Alf-sorry you get to be the one who has to moan.
I think you're right-us dado friendly types should put a disclaimer when muttering about them. I will from now on, for certain. That just about covers all eventualities then.
Play Safe
Philly :D

Alf, hear you and agree with you. I think I've often (and others have as well) mentioned to the 9 pager regarding responsible behaviour and I've often indicated in other threads that one particular method of work is not the only method. Indeed you have often agreed with me.

Adios

Noel, who reckons it's rather nice to have a civilised discussion about the less important things in life.

Lets be clear here, ALL tools, hand or powered are or can be dangerous.
I have done more damage to my hands on my lathe than ever using my dado set up.I put this down to carelessness when using the lathe as I have only skinned my knuckles but when I start my table saw, dado or not my attention is rigid, it scares me silly,therefore I am very careful.
Yes we should warn newbies(Me included) but these warnings should be accompanied by sensible information not blind preducices.

I find chisels and bench plane blades top be the most dangerous :shock: Almost always cut myself whilst sharpening them :cry: :oops:

Hmmm, the dado thread again. Well to chip in my 2p the only accident I had on a tablesaw was with a rip blade when my thumb had an argument with it. You know which won :oops: I do use the dado quite regularly and it really does frighten me when it's well stacked as the weight of that thing wizzing around is enough to put you off, never mind the roar. Just wait til you see the stock spurting out of the bottom of the saw, too!

I think a far more sensible approach is what I did (obviously not well enough?). Before I bought any power tools (other than my trusty 7" saw) I went to a weekend class run by the local craftsman to learn how to use all those tools. If I'm honest I still don't use them correctly 100% of the time, but I know how unforgiving they are :twisted: (lucky to still have 10 digits) and keep my hands and all other living tissue well away. You can always buy another piece of wood....

One day I might find the blade guard and fit it, but then I'd really be in trouble as I wouldn't be able see what I'm doing! :shock: Learned that from Norm...

Back