Ping Alf, Chris, Gill and any other expert Neanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned in another post I've got me self a set of scrapers (a pound a piece but happy for introductory experimentational purposes....). Had a go with them and I'm quite amazed with the nice finish and the wispy shavings. What I need to know is how to sharpen them, not the right word I'm sure, but you know what I mean (fettle?). Also got a burnisher thing which looks like a shiny blunt medical implement (maybe get the Axminster version in Nov, Chris) with a wooden handle.
Ok then, I'm all eyes.

Rgds

Noel

Noel,

There is lots of advice all over the net and rather than wear my fingers down to a nubbin, I'll point you to the method I used before getting my "Super burnisher" it's at http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/han ... _219.shtml

I was taught the second method listed there and it has worked well for me over the years. It does not however mention lubricating the scraper before burnishing. A stroke with a candle will do fine or a fingertip covered in a bit of oil. Also the writer distinguishes an initial honing and filing - I always hone the scraper before turning the initial burr - I can raise a burr several times before re-filing or re-honing.

Using a scraper is pretty easy. You will need to tip it back and forth a bit to find the right angle at which it cuts - this is dependent on the angle at which you held the burnisher while turning the burr. If you held the burnisher too far off the horizontal, you will find your knuckles rubbing the workpiece at the correct cutting angle and they get hot and sore very quickly!

Also remember that a scraper cuts when your fingers or thumb are behind the cutting edge (just like a plane blade it has to be supported) and as you wear one spot of the blade, you can shift your thumbs along to an unused part of the blade.

A properly sharpened scraper makes real shavings - not dust.

Many thanks Alf,Chris and Chiba, all bookmarked in a nice new folder.

Rgds

Noel

I'm too late :( . Wise words have already be spoken by the others and all I can do is concur.

I've only ever used a straight scraper and found the Veritas burnisher ( http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... &ccurrency ) ideal for the job. Okay, you're better off learning how to use a Harry Potter type of wand, but if you're just a muggle like me who's happy to stick to straight scrapers then perhaps this is an alternative solution.

Yours

Gill (Expert Neander? Naaaah - but thanks for the compliment)

Latest posts

Back