Pine, good or bad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have aquired a 3' log of pine with a lovely looking grain that could be worth turning. I have tirned a few things out of dried pine and they were OK but problem I have is this log is oozing resin at the moment. Smells wonderful and is reminscient of the stuf I used to use to plank boats with but not come across it in quite this raw state before.

Is it worth hanging on to for turning or not.

I am imagining turning it and having to spend ages tring to clean my tools and lathe of sticky sap. I have a wood burner so it won't be totally wasted. As I am a skinflint who only uses wood that he can salvage, scrounge or find I am loath to burn it unless really necessary. :-k

Pete

Hi Pete.

Don't think cleaning your tools is anything to worry too much about, white spirit or cellulose thinners should take care of that, but I would make sure the lathe bed and surrounding area is covered, and you of course depending how bad the resin is.

I've been caught out by a pocket of resin before, and it can make a right mess. All this is depending how bad/loose/soft the resin is.

Don't forget though, that if the timber is weeping resin now, what will it be like finished? Unless, you turn it to a candle shape and let the resin runs act as simulated candle wax. :twisted:

Good luck!

Pete.
There was a PTFE spray i bought ages ago to protect my saw blades and router cutters,etc from build up of resin,and another spray to clean the resin off.
Got them from Screwfix.
Just wondered if the same spray would be any good for turning tools while cutting resinous (is there such a word)woods. :?
Paul.J

Hi Pete,
Around here we have loads of Spruce which IIRC is similar to Pine.

I have tried turning it but I find it is difficult to get a good finish on the lathe. :( That may well be because I am a newby at turning. :oops: I think my tools are sharp and I've tried at different speeds.

Making the same things in Oak or Ash has been a lot more successful for me. When I get better perhaps softwoods will come good for me. In the meantime I can't say I've seen any really nice grain in the Pine or Spruce I've been able to pick up.

Hi Losos,

I have turned pine before and tho' it is more difficult than the hard woods you can get a good finish. My main concern with this log is the resin. I don't know whether it 'dries out' like other saps or stays sticky and messy. I'll probably hang on to it and see what happens unless we run out of firewood. Not that we need any at the moment

Pete

The resin should dry out, but may take quite a while. It runs out and 'lumps' horribly, and then, almost by magic, there is no more sticky lumps.
For now, cut the log to smaller logs as appropriate, and then tuck it away at the back of the attic for some months (rates of dry up vary). I've had some take three years to dry, but the end product has been pleasing to both eye and nose.

Or, ......take the log back three years in the nearest available time travelling machine.....if only!

Cutting resinous pine is a mucky mucky business, the darn stuff gets everywhere, and really slows you down. Twice as long to clean up as to turn? - no pleasure there!

Thanks Pete,
I have some hardwoods to work on for the next few months. As (if) I get better I'll have another go at Pine & Spruce, we've got so much of the stuff that I'd like to be able to use it occasionally.

Latest posts

Back