Pine floorboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
At home, I have a lounge which is bare boards with what can only be described as a nasty orange stain on them. There doesnt seem to be varnish. Connected to this room is a dining room, which had a dirty carpet in, which I removed when we moved in. I have left the underlay down, but with a child threatening to need a high chair in the next couple of months, the sensible thing would be to have a wipe clean floor. I assume that the boards are similar- sound enough and pine, although not stained.

I need to get a floor sander in to do the dining room, and may as well do the lounge whilst it is on hire. This will probably be easier tahn trying to match the stain colour, before having to restain both sides to something a little more asthetically pleasing. What finish would anybody recomend for pine boards- would something like Danish Oil be appropriate?

TIA
Mark

I just wrote a big long reply but the forum logged me out so short answer is Osmo Polyx. It is what I SHOULD have used on our pine floor.

However now our 11 month old is walking I would have laid carpet if I'd known how much they fall over and hit their heads.

Just my opinion, but hope it helps.

mickthetree said:
I just wrote a big long reply but the forum logged me out so short answer is Osmo Polyx.

quote]

Cheers. I hate it when it does that...

We used Ronseal diamond hard floor varnish which has really brought out the colour of our old floorboards and any spills (like gloss paint) just wipe straight off.

Are you planning to sand the floors while you live in the house?! Unless you hire one of those fancy machines with proper dust collection it's a particularly unpleasant job - you'll be picking dust out of your ears for weeks afterwards!

I've just done the boards in my hall, used one of the machines and my makita ros, finished with the hardwax oil floor finish from axminster, looks really good and its easy to apply, its still early days at the moment so I don't know how it will look in a few years, but its got good reviews on axminster.

i was planning to hire one of the machines from the likes of speedy, hss etc, combined with sealing the room the best I can to contain any airborne dust. We live there, I am not sure what more I can do.

Back