Pine and sash clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Is it ok to use pine to strengthen hollow sash clamps or should a hard wood be used?

To be honest I don't think that putting any wood into a hollow sash clamp will turn it into a more heavy duty clamp.
I have 6 hollow sash clamps that are great for light duty jobs but when more force is required you need heavy duty clamps.

well I modified my cheapo clamps, it made a big difference, not only strength but also sounds better, they used to ring and sound horrible, you can buy pine for next to nothing, I used 2 x 1 PAR Redwood Pine just made them all to fit each one individually, only an afternoons work to do all 12 clamps. I think using hardwood for something like this is a false economy, not worth the extra cost imo

thetyreman":3kjj66b5 said:
well I modified my cheapo clamps, it made a big difference, not only strength but also sounds better, they used to ring and sound horrible, you can buy pine for next to nothing, I used 2 x 1 PAR Redwood Pine just made them all to fit each one individually, only an afternoons work to do all 12 clamps. I think using hardwood for something like this is a false economy, not worth the extra cost imo

That's good to hear as I didn't really want to fork out for hardwood to do them. :D

Are they a tight fit or loosely fitted?

I remember seeing this video from Paul Sellers on the exact same topic:

[youtube]AyKiGmRq3wY[/youtube]

He's got some great tips there, especially waxing the bar for a slick adjustment, I wax my flat bar sash clamps and it makes a hell of a difference especially when you're doing a time-constrained glue up and the heads are jamming up constantly. For the most part, I use Record indestructible T-Bar clamps so not many problems :D Just remember these Aluminium clamps aren't meant for tightening until you physically can't no more like you can on a Record, I've seen several where the aluminium bites in the bar have torn out from over-tightening.

Trevanion":hzh33hpl said:
I remember seeing this video from Paul Sellers on the exact same topic:

[youtube]AyKiGmRq3wY[/youtube]

He's got some great tips there, especially waxing the bar for a slick adjustment, I wax my flat bar sash clamps and it makes a hell of a difference especially when you're doing a time-constrained glue up and the heads are jamming up constantly. For the most part, I use Record indestructible T-Bar clamps so not many problems :D Just remember these Aluminium clamps aren't meant for tightening until you physically can't no more like you can on a Record, I've seen several where the aluminium bites in the bar have torn out from over-tightening.

That's a great video, just what I needed.

Thank you.
Gary

The problem with the aluminium ones is that they bend so easily! .. adding the solid core makes a big difference. I would say the flimsy clamping mechanism would fail before they bend (after the modification)

There is also the argument that you really shouldn't need a lot of a pressure to clamp things up, and that cranking down on things will only introduce unwanted stress in the piece that may cause things to warp when you unclamp (he says as he over clamps to compensate for his poor joints)

thetyreman":2zs4tysr said:

Well I am happy to be corrected.
I thought that the op wanted to make his clamps more heavy duty and didn't realise that noise was the issue.
I have never had a problem with the bar bending but if you overload this type of clamp the tooth on the adjustable head will tear into the ally body therefore no matter what you do there comes a point that you will not be able to increase the clamping pressure.
For me the fact that they are light weight and quick to adjust is their big advantage on simple glue ups.

powertools":fne1e3sw said:
thetyreman":fne1e3sw said:

Well I am happy to be corrected.
I thought that the op wanted to make his clamps more heavy duty and didn't realise that noise was the issue.
I have never had a problem with the bar bending but if you overload this type of clamp the tooth on the adjustable head will tear into the ally body therefore no matter what you do there comes a point that you will not be able to increase the clamping pressure.
For me the fact that they are light weight and quick to adjust is their big advantage on simple glue ups.

I would suggest that he tries both, first try them hollow and he can come to his own conclusion.

I'm with Powertools on this tbh. You can cinch summat up with cheap f clamps if you just need holding pressure. I use twobob aldi f clamps ALL the time . They are rubbish but they are also cheap and it's a hobby for me.
For any real clamping pressure on a budget, always on a budget.... I use 4mm box steel and clamp heads. In my experience Paramo were best, closely followed by Record. Then the new ones you can buy at Rutlands etc. They are ok, they work. Might need a fettle. Custard gave a tip on an older thread about using slivers of wood to raise the clamping head to 90 deg. As always, excellent info.

Clamp (Cramp) heads are prone to go for about £15 on ebay. Then you have to buy the steel. However you now have Badass Clamps. You can keep your ali clamps for just holding stuff steady. No panic. The downside is weight.

post1014884.html?hilit=sash%20clamps%20from%20box%20steel#p1014884

Back