Pin router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been offered what i think is an old default pin router but i know nothing about pin routers :oops:
What benefits would a pin router give a small trade workshop ? Or is this a machine for bigger production workshops ?
Thanks ,
Jason .

If you do a lot of template routing (batch production) then they're the bees knees (my avatar is a Wadkin UX pin router :lol: ) Use both of mine quite a bit, but then a lot of my stuff is batch work. Less useful for rounding over, etc as they will mark any work if you accidentally lift in cut. This is a machine which needs adequate guarding and warrants a brake. What type of router is it - some of the older machines like Dankaerts can be a pain to get collets, etc for.

Scrit

Scrit , im not sure of the model number but its the old style Dewalt with the orange bits . I was offered it ages ago and its still there unused but when they said its a router i looked at it and thought NO ITS NOT ! Until i saw you talking about the pin router then the penny dropped :oops:
Its been outside for a long time , covered from the rain but not moisture so i assume it'll need a good going over and a few quid spent on it .
In laymans terms i see it as a fixed over head router which i already have in the 8-[ Legacy 8-[ :lol:
Am i missing something or is it a fixed overhead router ?

Most overhead pin routers have a C-arm or swan-neck configuration like these:

InterwoodOFN.jpg
WadkinLS.jpg

.................Interwood OFN...................................................Wadkin LS...........................

In the UK (and the USA) we tended to build routers with motors mounted outboard on the C-arm whilst the Italians and Belgians built theirs in the main with motors at the rear of the arm and a very long flat belt drive. Can't say I recall deWalt ever building routers, sure it isn't a sand-coloured Wadkin or SCM which has changed colour. The big difference between a Legacy and a pin router is probably the follow pin (does the Legacy have one?) and the fact that most pin routers have induction motors in the range 5 to 8 hp. One of my UXs alsoi has the neat trick of being able to power its own jig templates using a couple of powered feed rollers - all I have to do is keep feeding it new jigs with blanks on them and unloading them when it finishes - keeps my fingers away from the spinny sharp bits!

Scrit

From what you are saying Scrit i assume the pin is in the bed of the table not the size of the cutter in the router as i first thought .
The router i have seen looks like your pics but without the base so a bench mounted version if you like .
Yes the legacy does have this facility and i have the baby one . Take a look at what they can really do when you buy the Daddy Legacy .
You may already have the machinary to do the tasks but i think youll agree it can replace a lot of machines ...... if they made a 3 phase router :lol:

The pin is indeed in the bed and is available in a variety of sizes from 2mm upwards. There are also ball bearing pins available. If the machine you're talking about is a bench top then it is provbably either the Centric/Watford (a British-made small shop pin router of the 1950s and 1960s) or an Elu bench top conversion, again available in the 1950s to early 1970s - they were made to carry the MOF11 type motor, re-introduced be deWalt a few years back, but would probably be able to carry a MOF31/MOF77/MOF98 type motor as well (Elu grey ones with orange or black knobs).

Sorry, but I doubt the Legacy has the volume of production I need on some jobs :lol:

Scrit

Latest posts

Back