pilot drill recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have developed a real talent for snapping pilot bits recently, can anyone recommend a brand / type of bit 2mm and 2.5mm that holds up well, maybe with the ability to take a slight flex before they snap? preferably affordable and easily sourced from screwfix and the like. Thank you

After breaking all my Makita/Trend/Dewalt pilot bits I have been buying from this seller on ebay: ukdrills (no affiliation)
Current listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271294574301
These still break just as frequently, so I just buy them again in packs of 10, as they are relatively inexpensive and this way I do not have to hunt for different (non metric) sizes used in some combined pilot/countersink bits.

Bear in mind - the listing above is for long bits. If you need some short ones then this may be more appropriate: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352966905605 and even cheaper

Another possible way to tackle this which I've started doing lately is
making a better punch mark
To do this using an anvil (sledgehammer head on the bench over the leg)
makes a great difference...
Followed by,say a 5 or 6 mm stubby bit (one which is ground down so much shorter)
as it won't deflect near as much.

Not tried yet, and don't know if I will now, but if I need to, I can buy centre drills
for pecking a hole.
These are used with milling machines and lathes, and are only a few mm deep with a
much thicker shank.
Likely a very expensive solution, but interesting none the less.

Tom

thank you Ttrees, I do use a centre punch normally when drilling metal, and my go to drill bit for wood work is a lip and spur bit which does the centre punching for you. obviously a 2mm bit with a spur is not going to happen readily. I think that the problem is normally user error on my behalf, not keeping my combi drill steady and straight enough.

phil, fleyh, thank you for the suggestions of UK drills, I'll have a look

Really need more information
What are you drilling into ?
What speed ?
What is the feed rate ?

In timber, drills usually fail because the flutes become blocked - drill overheats and BINGO
Similar in metal, the drill tip becomes blunt. - More heat etc.
As soon as you see that the spiral "cut material " is not flowing from the hole - you are doing something wrong.
Yes, you can get poor drills, but most often it is the operation that is the problem.

Back