Pillow Blocks - how accurate should they be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been trying to build a gizmo for my lathe to hold the end of a 20mm diameter wooden shaft for end drilling, What better to use than a Pillow Block. I turned a trial shaft prior to slipping the block over the exposed end, only to discover that the axis of the shaft and the base of the block. were not parallel to each other.
My question is, how accurate should pillow blocks be? I have measured the slope away from parallel at 2 degrees. This gives rise to a 12 mm difference from one end of the shaft to the other. Photo attached. IMG_3774_1edit.jpg

Something deeply wrong there.... Self aligning bearing that's held at an angle by old grease maybe?

Agreed, my own PBs are self-aligning and are normally (without any lub) "slightly stiffly free" (!!!) to move over pretty significant angles. Is the bottom of the casting damaged, cracked, etc, in any way? Anyway, assuming bought new, I'd suggest "back to seller".

thats a first.....never seen this in 50 years....
could be extra stiff block assy's.....some of the cheaper units (Chinese) are quite stiff......
but generally quite good if not run at max loading/speed....
they do free up after a short while......
I use em up to 75-100mm diameter......dont ask how much ....hahaha...

Something deeply wrong there.... Self aligning bearing that's held at an angle by old grease maybe?
I was also wondering if it might not be a self aligning bearing.

Hi there,
Thanks both for replying, I did wonder about self aligning, but I don't seem to be able to move the bearing. It's a Dunlop badged component, so I thought it would be good enough quality. I don't want to give it too much 'welly' in case I damage it, but I will give it another try.
I did look up information in adjustable bearings. and they talk of of an adjustment of typically + or- 1 degree. whereas the bearing itself is 2 degrees off vertical.
Cheers Niall

Can't say for sure, but here anyway, the name Dunlop doesn't mean a thing - just real cheapo Chinese rhubarb and nothing whatever to do with a tyre manufacturer in Birmingham!

Good morning
Presumably you do not have a 'steady' with the lathe, as that is the 'normal' support on a lathe, if not then as others would suggest you put the bottom flange of the pillow block in the vice, spray WD40, rod through the middle and wiggle about until free, you then need to be able to 'fix' the pillow block to max the lathe centre height.

Good morning
Presumably you do not have a 'steady' with the lathe, as that is the 'normal' support on a lathe, if not then as others would suggest you put the bottom flange of the pillow block in the vice, spray WD40, rod through the middle and wiggle about until free, you then need to be able to 'fix' the pillow block to max the lathe centre height.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions - this is more or less what I have just finished doing, After contacting the seller,I took his advice and looked at a video on how to remove the bearing from the block using a length of iron pipe. I was then able to reposition it and level it up, after a fashion. At least I now have much more of an Idea of how much 'welly' I can give it.
No, I don't have a steady for this metalworking lathe, hence building a special 'gizmo' to hold the wooden shaft in place. When it's completed I'm hoping I will be able to drill a 12mm hole along it's length. Luckily, I can remove the tailstock on this particular lathe ,to give me access with a long D drill.
So, now it's back to gardening, until the other parts I've ordered for the project,arrive,
Niall

Back