Pillar drill tripping. Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those old style starters are just that - old style
Motors up to 1/2 Hp don't really need a DOL starter but probably best in the long term.
That's a nice machine - give her a new DOL
It will solve all your issues and is easy to do.

It maybe an optical illusion or maybe just my eyes,.....but is it not running backwards..???
Well I took a second look as well,,,I guess an optical illusion,,
So given that its clearly running fine why should he change the starter? Btw thats a question not a statement,,,
Steve.

As the old saying goes, ”If it’s not broken, don’t fix it”….They were built to last and I’m sure it will..

Those old starters will run FAR longer than any new one today they where built in the day to last not throw away, I have two one on a drill press one on a miller both as old as the hills and still to this day still running fine, Why O' Why do people think they need to throw something away if it looks old but is still working.

Did you (the original OP) screw the current settings to their maximum this starter was always IMO at its limit for a 1/2 HP motor?
A new stater is the best way to go that AW starter has done its job now it's time to fit a 21st-century starter MEM or Telemecanique or how about this one

DOL Starter 240V Single Phase Pre Wired with 2.5-4 Amp Overload 0.37KW From:​

ÂŁ39.99 (ex. VAT)
1654342362643.png

Those old starters will run FAR longer than any new one today they where built in the day to last not throw away, I have two one on a drill press one on a miller both as old as the hills and still to this day still running fine, Why O' Why do people think they need to throw something away if it looks old but is still working.
Because the mechanical parts of the AW starter will become fatigued/worn after so many years I used to service and install AW starters from 1/2 KW SP to 250KW 3PH they do wear.

Why O' Why do people think they need to throw something away if it looks old but is still working.

Phill05, exactly my thoughts , gonna keep my Mrs for another 40 years :whistle:

:whistle::whistle::LOL:

Because the mechanical parts of the AW starter will become fatigued/worn after so many years I used to service and install AW starters from 1/2 KW SP to 250KW 3PH they do wear.

DRC: I totally agree throw it away when it's days are done whist it is working fine leave it as it is, if it was in a works situation stop/start 12 to 14 hours a day then you would need to change it to current regs but from reading the OP's comments this is his first one I think he would not be doing 12 to 14 hour shifts, I might be wrong It has been known.

Mark.B Good on ya happy wife happy life.

Thanks. I’ll keep it as is for now and see how it goes. I won’t be putting big shifts in on it really. Unfortunately for me, woodwork is still just a hobby. It’s main job will be to speed up chopping out mortises. The fun of that has started to wear a bit thin recently.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back