Pillar drill table fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krysstel

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to build a table for my pillar drill but with a lot on the go at the moment am considering saving myself some time by using a ready made fence.

This Axminster fence looks good but with only one picture taken from the front and few details in the information page I'm left with a lot of questions regarding build quality, mounting method, thickness of fence in front of the pillar etc etc.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-fence-for-deluxe-pillar-drill-tables-prod864668/

They're apparently designed for this table http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-deluxe-pillar-drill-tables-prod864603/. Since I have some specific requirements for the table regarding use of drumsanders I'll definately be making my own but before I buy the fence I need to find out if it's suitable.
Does anyone have one, or know more about them ?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Mark

Thanks for the link Paul.
I'm intending to make the table myself but really wanted something more all singing and dancing for the fence with adjustable fences, stop blocks etc. I'm not against making a complicated one myself but am just trying to buy myself out of the job, and the time :wink:

Mark

mine is a simple straight edge with a t-track for stop blocks etc.

Attachments

• rsz_imag0057.jpg
    rsz_imag0057.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,071
There is no need whatever for a high fence on a pillar drill...you just need something higher than the base...everything else gets in the way of virtually anything!

DSC_0498.JPG

Piece of birch ply...some faced MDF...knobs turned up with bolts embedded in, some old lighting track from a bootfair....all offcuts and junk.

The hold-down is now removable and I have made a floating vise carriage which was well worth it!

Jim

I use the Axminster table 'cos I didn't pay anything like full price for it :mrgreen: but one of the most useful features, and one that's missing from all the ones shown above (unless I've missed something) is a 63mm dust extraction port. With the pillar drill hooked up to the dx system it's invaluable for getting rid of accumulated grunge that builds up when in use - Rob

Good point. My dust falls into a removable drawer, that can be emptied or vacuumed out. i always vac the table before and during use to ensure that the T-track is not blocked with any debris.

Back