Pillar drill question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amir

Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking to buy a pillar drill after buying and returning an Axminster AC315PD as I found it to be under powered for my needs.
I was looking at buying a new DP58P which is probably at the top of my budget (~£450) but I couldn't find detailed reviews about it.
Does anyone here have experience with that model? Would love to hear first hand experience, good or bad.

For context, I'm a weekend woodworker but want a tool that doesn't feel flimsy (like the Axminster did) and I can spare a bit of room in my garage for a floor pillar drill.

I don't mind buying a used machine but looking at what's on offering at the moment, it's either out of my budget or machines that look quite worn out.

Thanks!

Have a look at meddings or fobco for older English stuff.

Or Sealey / Naerok etc for more modern drills.

Cheers James

Hi

Welcome and if you don't want flimsy then James idea of buying an older meddings, fobco or the like is your best option unless you spend a great deal more on a modern industrial item.

These older drills may require some cleaning and work but you end up with a solid drill that will outlive you.

Thank you James and Spectric.
Looking online, I couldn't find older machines that tick all of the boxes.
I like the idea of one of those timeless machines but fear that my budget and amount of free time to roam around forums won't allow me to find a good deal on one of those.

Of the brands mentioned here, I see that Sealey are still around and found model #PDM170F to be in my price range.
What I'm confused about is the motor strength.

The Sealey is 370W while the Record power DP58P is 1hp which is 750W.
Doesn't this mean that the Sealey would be weaker than the Record power?

I picked up an old Sealey 12 speed floor standing one a couple of years ago from e bay. £200. Weighs a ton but really good machine which cost over £1000 new. They don't still sell theses big industrial type machines, but there are still quite a lot about, and you can still get spares for them quite easily. Mine was pretty grubby but in good order mechanically and with very little wear. I think the only thing I needed to replace was the quill return spring, which cost about £10. A good clean and a coat of paint and it's like new. Their biggest offering now is still a pretty good machine but positively weedy by comparison. Biggest problem was getting it out of the van when I got it home. Had to take it to bits but even then the head was a two man job to carry it, and get it on top of the pillar. I would guess the whole machine weighs over 200kg. So keep looking, and don't ignore three phase either. Vfd are so cheap now that even after adding that cost you could still get a really good old machine for less than the cost of a fairly low powered new one, certainly achievable with your £450 budget.

Latest posts

Back