Pillar Drill or Drill Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said above, spindle isnt as strong as the axminister but its got a bigger motor, tilt-able table and a 3 year guarantee......
It will do 25mm holes in wood which is what OP asked for - and its cheap as chips - as he also asked for....

tool-me-up":1ezdtmw2 said:
As said above, spindle isnt as strong as the axminister but its got a bigger motor, tilt-able table and a 3 year guarantee......
It will do 25mm holes in wood which is what OP asked for - and its cheap as chips - as he also asked for....
Axi also have 3yr warranty now. :)

carlb40":3mbb0em1 said:
tool-me-up":3mbb0em1 said:
Axi also have 3yr warranty now. :)

And so it should for twice the price :lol: :lol:

The axy is definatley the sturdier of the two - but I personally don't thinks its worth twice the price as its not twice the drill.

hi,
All i need it to do is drill holes, Im not doing fine accurate furniture making. I do need the holes all in the same place and in neat lines. I don't expect to get something that it is as good as machines coasting £500, I however need the machine to drill these holes many times and roughly at the speed as my hand drill. I could use my hand drill but i want the hole straight and if i make a jig I will reduce my setting out time as everyone is the same.

I will think about the silverline looks a lot of kit, and cheaper than my hand drill was.

Iain

I don't see why you can't make up a simple jig on a table using one of the cheap drill presses. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bench-Mountable ... cr_pr_pb_t

take a flat piece of wood, put prepare 2 sides on it that are deep enough to take your wood underneath attach one side but leave the other underneath for final placement later!! make them slightly longer than the work piece at both ends (gives you somewhere to clamp to), now you've got your frame made up, you need to screw the drill press stand to the flat piece of wood, drill a hole through the flat piece so you can position your workpiece underneath, with the loose side next to it, once you've got everything nicely positioned you can fix the 2nd side.

Pretty simple really, your accuracy should increase and gives you somewhere to clamp to, cheap as chips and you also get to use your 500w drill too :)

Get the silverline you should have said at the start you wanted cheep junk. It might be a good idea to get two or more so you are not without a drill when they are away being repaired.

wizard":3kk6b06l said:
Get the silverline you should have said at the start you wanted cheep junk. It might be a good idea to get two or more so you are not without a drill when they are away being repaired.

A little harsh there, wizard :!:

I've used plenty of Silverline tools over the past few years (in fact I ditched SnapOn spanners in favour of Silverline) and they've proved just as reliable as anything else.

OK, this drill press may not be the best out there but it will do what the OP wants without complaining.

There's too much brand snobbery on here :!: :!: :!:

Go to jigs and tips in forums
The wonderful world of Niki's Jigs
Drill Stand modification

this may help

Steve

MMUK":1ltteo1f said:
wizard":1ltteo1f said:

I've used plenty of Silverline tools over the past few years (in fact I ditched SnapOn spanners in favour of Silverline) and they've proved just as reliable as anything else.

OK, this drill press may not be the best out there but it will do what the OP wants without complaining.

Glad you put that in MMUK - You should see some people faces when they ask for the cheapest set of spanners or sockets with a lifetime guarantee and I show them a silverline set :roll:

MMUK":37raa6mu said:
I ditched SnapOn spanners in favour of Silverline

Hi

Next time you're ditching Snap On spanners, you couldn't ditch them my way could you?? :wink: :wink:

Regards Mick

Spindle":2re6ql7x said:
MMUK":2re6ql7x said:
I ditched SnapOn spanners in favour of Silverline

Hi

Next time you're ditching Snap On spanners, you couldn't ditch them my way could you?? :wink: :wink:

Regards Mick

The only SnapOn item I have left is a #2 philips screwdriver in Japanese head pattern. I'm keeping that for the bikes :p

tool-me-up":1iwmo55s said:
MMUK":1iwmo55s said:
wizard":1iwmo55s said:

Glad you put that in MMUK - You should see some people faces when they ask for the cheapest set of spanners or sockets with a lifetime guarantee and I show them a silverline set :roll:
I agree.

I got annoyed with Snap-On when I had a garage/service station and their rep appeared regularly selling overpriced kit to the mechanics and apprentices on the tick - so much a week. They couldn't afford and didn't need it but it seemed to confer some sort of status to have tool-chest full of the stuff.

at one time snap-on were the gold standard and there is no question some ownership snobbery/status thing was going on. Today.....Festool have a similar hold over their clients. Don't get me wrong, Festool also make excellent quality tools and have some fabulous innovations (domino being the classic) but I believe it is un-arguable that they are priced at a point which is higher than their true value.

The brand cache or goodwill is what makes the difference and explains why the market will bear their pricing. There is no question some status thinking is part of some of the buying decisions. Notice I said "some" before the avalanche of "shut yer face" responses starts :)

Nothing wrong with siliverline spanners, i have them as well as snap-on and britool, they will all last forever. That drill is junk and will not last very long, an old second hand one will.

This stand has been mentioned twice in this thread so far, Bench-Mountable-Power-Drill-Plunge from Amazon and the reviews look good.

However, I've seen there are 3 others on Amazon that look the same with differing reviews and prices, so not sure now if it's as good as I initially thought :?
Connex COM870500 Drill Stand
Silverline 633764 Drill Stand
Clarke CDS3 Drill Stand With Vice

This looks a bit more robust but slightly dearer at £30.50, Brueder Mannesmann M 1255-420 Drill Stand

Not allowed to post links yet...curse of the noob :lol:

Hi

Thanks for the replies, some more useful than others.

Plenty food for thought.

Wizard you appear to have a chip on your shoulder, not very welcoming for someone new to the forum. Do you good to remember some folk are not always as fortunate as yourself to be in a position to by a Bentley when a Mini will do.

Thank you everyone.

Back