Pillar drill or drill stand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanSpaceman

Established Member
Reaction score
Ebay item 110815952755

I reckon I already know the answer to this, but I am attracted to the drill stand because it is a great deal more compact, not to mention cheaper.

How do I use this with my Makita cordless? I would have to hold the trigger down or tape it, and simultaneously operate the lever.... I can see it being relegated to the "useless tool" category very quickly.

Anyone got one/used one?

Drill stands are better than nothing but a pillar drill is much better by far.
Many reasons but just picking one - drills with brushed motors are very noisy, pillar drills tend to have induction motors and are quiet

Pillar drill every time unless you want to throw away your hard earned. If it really must be a drill stand look for a second hand one for next to nothing as most are relegated to the useless cupboard very quickly.

I've skipped 2 which I was gifted or you could have had them for free though I still have an ancient B&D one somewhere, with drill to match :oops:

Bob

Lons":383csrpe said:
Pillar drill every time unless you want to throw away your hard earned. If it really must be a drill stand look for a second hand one for next to nothing as most are relegated to the useless cupboard very quickly.

I've skipped 2 which I was gifted or you could have had them for free though I still have an ancient B&D one somewhere, with drill to match :oops:

Bob

Seconded. Drill stands are not "mainstream" - a good drill stand (Bosch, old Wolf) will cost as much (unless you luck out s/h) as a cheap pillar drill. Even a cheap pillar drill is a useful item.

Edit; thread about good old Wolf models;

wolfcraft-drill-stand-t20048.html

BugBear

Heres what I use if i need a hole on site or on a piece to big to get under my drill presses

Its a record drill stand that takes most modern drills with a 43mm collar
Some Dewalt cordless have 43mm collars too

Ian

This is mine and its very useful at times but I also have a pillar drill.
It is really well made and accurate with almost zero play and very heavily made.
This model is not easy to get hold of as they've not been produced for many years.

wolf.jpg

wolf2.jpg

MMUK":8psohknk said:
Lons":8psohknk said:
I still have an ancient B&D one somewhere, with drill to match :oops:

Would that be a blue aluminium cased drill or a later sand coloured plastic cased one?

From memory it's a light coloured plastic bodied 2 speed drill (height of technology at the time :wink: ). The stand is blue and very much older, I think I bought it originally whilst I was still at school so that would be best part of 50 years ago and the drill doesn't quite fit. I had an old single spreed blue drill but have a suspicion I threw it away.

Notes to self:
1). I really must have a clear out
2). I've got far too many bl**dy cupboards

Bob

Back