pillar drill motor advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindi93

Reaction score
my pillar drill has no motor (long story) so i need to buy one to go on it which will be single phase. the pulley is a 5 step one, have i worked this out correct that i will need a 4 pole motor?
Next question is what kind of power in watts or hp should i be looking at ?

Without knowing more about the dimensions of the pulleys on your drill, we can't tell you if the motor should be 2 or 4 pole. Not enough info.
In terms of power, drills don't usually have very large motors and more expensive drills don't necessarily have bigger motors. Many are less than 1 hp / 748 Watt and a 1.1kW motor is pretty big on a bench drill.
Motors come in standard frame sizes which equate to standard dimensions. I would begin by reading up about IEC motor frame sizes, measuring the dimensions of your drill that will matter and that will lead you towards a physical size of motor that will fit your machine.

There is usually a plate on the drill stating dimensions, capacities and motor size.
Failing that, measure the hole spacing where the motor goes. Then check out motor specs that give that size mounting bolts.

Latest posts

Back