Pillar drill identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansWorkshop

Reaction score
Im new to the forum and this is my first post.

I've recently bought an old pillar drill for my home workshop. It's branded as meddings on the base but can't find any other info on it.

Wondering if anyone recognises it and can give a year or a model number. I'll post a picture and will post more later when I get in from work. Excuse the state of the garage.

Hope you can help.

Thanks.
20210913_191002.jpg

Thanks for the info. That certainly looks to match my drill, other than the branded base but I assume that is the difference between the floor and the bench model.

Yeah it's in lovely condition, needs a good clean a bit of lube and the return spring needs fixing but other than that it's a tank. Bargain as well.

It is could be a later machine. The one in the brochure came with tilting table as standard, but that doesn't look like a tilting table on your one?
I also have a Meddings, they are very good machines. Built to last.
Has the return spring broken? would be interesting to hear what the problem is and how you fix it, in case others have the same problem.

Yes, I noticed that makes me think the drill has been fitted to a different base.

They are can't imagine anything from machine mart still being around in 80 years.

It's the pin which the spiral spring hooks onto has bent and eventually snapped. It will require drilling out and replacing. Also the spring itself has deformed to fit the bent pin so will require a bit of fettling.

I will upload some pictures later.

Lovely drill. Simple to do anything to. If the data plate is still on the drill get on to Meddings who will date the drill based on the data plate info.
Your base looks like a typical Meddings base. There were variations of bases.
Best of luck with your purchase. You've done well. Looking forward to more updates and pics.

I'm sure they also made 'specials' Perhaps a company bought a batch of machines, but didn't need the tilting feature. I have a different model Meddings, but here is a pic of the spring mechanism on mine. It looks original and fortunately still in good condition.
meddings spring.JPG

I'm sure you have found them already, but you can get replacement springs. Quick search gave this ( possibly the right length). My spring when fully wound up has an average diameter if about 1.5 inches. When unwound, average diameter is about 2 inches, 10 turns, so very roughly 50 to 60 inches long.
Good luck with the repair :)

I'm sure they also made 'specials' Perhaps a company bought a batch of machines, but didn't need the tilting feature. I have a different model Meddings, but here is a pic of the spring mechanism on mine. It looks original and fortunately still in good condition.View attachment 117934
I'm sure you have found them already, but you can get replacement springs. Quick search gave this ( possibly the right length). My spring when fully wound up has an average diameter if about 1.5 inches. When unwound, average diameter is about 2 inches, 10 turns, so very roughly 50 to 60 inches long.
Good luck with the repair :)

OK, this might be the case as I've seen a few examples which are similar but not an exact match.

Thanks, I've fixed the pin and reformed the spring but it still jams up before hitting the stop. Think it may be the incorrect spring, will have to replace it.

I've gave it a quick clean up. Lubed it up and got it grafting. I think I will restore it properly one day but for now it will do its job.

Drillled the old pin out and tapped the hole m4. Reformed the spring with the help of a blow torch and some plyers. Like I say though I think I need to replace the spring as it doesn't seem to have the travel.

Thanks for the info. That certainly looks to match my drill, other than the branded base but I assume that is the difference between the floor and the bench model.

Yeah it's in lovely condition, needs a good clean a bit of lube and the return spring needs fixing but other than that it's a tank. Bargain as well.
Try Airedale springs in haworth.

Spring makers for generations if they can't they will know a guy in a shed who will.

Cheers James

Spring looks too short, compared to my one. Only about 4 turns. That would have caused the pin to break. It's probably been repaired already.

Spring looks too short, compared to my one. Only about 4 turns. That would have caused the pin to break. It's probably been repaired already.
Hi, try this eBay item number 185036165019. I'm not sure if it will suit your machine though. However, if you put in "drill return spring" in eBay search you'll find a number of different size quill springs listed and hopefully you will get one that suits your machine. Most but not all seem to be in the far east ho hum🙄

I’ve got the same drill but in far worse condition, I was wondering what it was so maybe now I know. Mine also has the Meddings base and the non tilting table. Apart from the terrible paint job (not me) I need to replace the quill bearings as i don’t dare run it on the fastest speed it’s so rattley.
BA969663-37D7-4809-A64C-EAF91333F5C3.jpeg
C7ACE3EE-9422-4ECC-9546-E406127770C1.jpeg
3667AE3F-7087-4269-A989-2E07032FCF86.jpeg
C3E33BAF-6EE6-4349-B333-0E11B9ECEB11.jpeg

Hi, try this eBay item number 185036165019. I'm not sure if it will suit your machine though. However, if you put in "drill return spring" in eBay search you'll find a number of different size quill springs listed and hopefully you will get one that suits your machine. Most but not all seem to be in the far east ho hum🙄
I'll check that out cheers.

I’ve got the same drill but in far worse condition, I was wondering what it was so maybe now I know. Mine also has the Meddings base and the non tilting table. Apart from the terrible paint job (not me) I need to replace the quill bearings as i don’t dare run it on the fastest speed it’s so rattley.View attachment 118115View attachment 118116View attachment 118117View attachment 118118
Yeah this spring is far long than mine. Definitely the reason for the snapped pin. Let me know the bearing change goes. I think I will plan to do mine eventually as you can feel the odd notch when turning by hand. Still runs pretty smooth at the minute though.

Back