Pillar drill for awkward shape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulsoulsby

Reaction score
I need to buy a pillar drill to drill holes into hardwood panels. I successfully hand drilled a prototype, but am now looking at making 100 units, probably more, so want an easier way to drill them.
There are 2 holes which are at a tricky angle. I'm thinking of building a jig to hold the panel at the correct angle when drilling. The problem is that very few of the lower end drills have space for an object 288mm tall.
Is there a better technique for drilling these holes? I'm loathed to buy a bigger more professional unit, as I only need it for drilling these holes into wood. I don't need the more powerful motors and other features that the pro machines have.
I basically need to get these holes drilled as simply and accurately as possible, but without breaking the bank on new kit.
thanks!

Attachments

• wood-panel.jpg
    wood-panel.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 277
I would not use a pillar drill.

Make up a Jig or jigs in hard wood such as Beech to locate on the edges of your panels and fit hardened steel bushes at hole locations.

Then just clamp or suitably locate jig/s in place along the edges and drill with hand drill, this will ensure accuracy of location to match with any pre-manufactured/drilled panels or feet fixings.

Agree with CHJ, if you’ve got a lot to make and they’re all the same a bushed jig will make it quick and repeatable

You could turn the base of the drill to the rear and fix to bench with enough overhang to the front of the bench to take your supporting structure.
Cheers Andy

you might want to look at how people are making dowel jigs. Same idea as has already been mentioned, a block of wood with bushings, but also includes a clamping aspect, which you need to get securely for accuracy

maxresdefault.jpg

I can never find those metal bushings/sleeves though. Any recommendations on where to get them from?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back