Pillar drill chuck slip?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm I was using a forstner vt for the first time yesterday, whilst drilling the drill BT kept stopping. I initially thought the belt was slipping but it looks like actually the chuck is stopping but the spindle is still spinning.

I'm guessing the chuck sits on a more taper but I don't know this for sure. Does anyone know a cure? I don't think I was drilling excessively hard on the piece.

Most pillar drills have a chuck which has a Morse type taper...you can usually see this if you bring the shaft all the way down you should see a slot in the side. Through this you should see the end of the Morse taper. This allows a wedge to be placed in the slot above the taper and gently tap out the chuck/taper assembly if required.

The chuck assembly appears to be loose on yours...get a block of wood and press it home by pulling the lever so that the chuck presses down on the wood. It is best to turn the jaws to max open so that they disappear into the chuck before you do this.

Forstner bits put a lot of stress on drill chucks so go slowly and keep raising the bit to clear the waste often. A little at a time is the best way with these bits (and all bits really!)

Let us know if this works

Cheers

Jim

Spot on Jim, well I agree anyway :) . I just wonder if it would be worth taking the chuck out to clean the morse tapers, inside and out? That is the outside of the chuck taper and the inside of the drive shaft taper.
xy

Worth a look at whilst I'm fiddling with it :). I've also had the belt jump off in me a couple of times (on the bottom speed which is the slowest, would this normally indicate not enough belt tension?

xy mosian":2950i27n said:
Spot on Jim, well I agree anyway :) . I just wonder if it would be worth taking the chuck out to clean the morse tapers, inside and out? That is the outside of the chuck taper and the inside of the drive shaft taper.
xy

Hi XY.....yup...I was just about to edit my post to add that as an afterthought and then you posted!

If the belt is falling off it is probably too loose too. You need to move the motor back by releasing the locking bolt(s) and you should be able to move the belt back and forward between the two pulleys by about 1/2-1". The belt should not be too tight as it will wear the bearings prematurely but not too loose that it falls off.

Jim

Not only are drill chucks often attached to the bench drill using a morse taper 'mandrel' - see the reference above to the slot in the side of the drive sleeve - but the chucks can also be attached to the mandrel itself with another short morse taper going into a hole in the back of the chuck.

However, if either of these become loose, the chuck would normally drop away from the drill body when the head is raised since only the tapered 'joints' hold things together.

If your chuck is stopping, but the spindle is still spinning and the chuck does NOT fall away, perhaps the 'joint' is not by a morse taper but by a key (broken) or screw (loose) ??

A small section on thread did fall into the belt compartment when I turned it on! I couldn't see where from so ignored it... I think you might be onto something

Belt pulley to shaft fixing screw by any chance, if it is then chuck will stop and pulley continue to rotate.
May be why your belt is coming off as well as the pulley may have slipped out of line with motor pulley.

Is it one of these ultra cheap pillar drills? Like mine.
I have the same sounding problem when using large bits.
No matter how much tension i put on the belt, it doesn't seem to hardly help.

Need to trick the cover interlock, so I can see whats going on up that end.

Normally start off using it, then get fed and move onto to my cordless drill, that seems to have 10x the torque of the Ferm pillar drill!

Mine is an old nutools one which hasn't been used in a longtime before I brought it. Thanks for the help guys, will get in the shed and check it out soon.

My first drill press was a machine mart clarke, not the cheapest one they had by far, and i thought it was the mutts proverbials.

However then i got way more into woodworking and realised it was pretty much cheap rubbish, if you dom this as a hobby and not just once a year.

It started having problems as i got into heavier stuff, and then gave up the ghost, so i got a proper 2.5 hp floor standing one, and wow, i can start fires with a forstner, nothing stops this beast... Anyway, i digress..

My new one has min size of 5mm bit, and i needed to do a load of 3mm holes. So i decided to dig it out, as it must be able to handle that, and found i had the exact same issue you are describing.

Took it apart, (had to disable safety so i could run whilst looking under the bonnet), and found it was really simple. The locking nut on the chuck pulley was misthreaded (was at about 10deg angle!) and was loose. I could not straighten it, however i managed to tighten it and now works fine.

I have the two side by side for multiple set ups for repeated operations. However i would check that, sounds similar and is something that can come loose after a few hours running, and would have that effect.

Apologies for the late reply, thanks for all your help everyone, the problem was as suggested the spindle / cam on the chuck shaft was slipping. I found the little grub screw, put it back in and now it drills like a whole new machine!!

Back