Pillar Drill and Speed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

For the average " Garage Workshop" user, how many speeds would you be likely to use?

Cheers

Jed

well ive had mine for 8 years and ive nver changed the speed - so one in my case (i'm only drilling wood tho - if i was drilling metal as well it might be different)

I've set mine on the middle pulley or maybe the slightly faster one and I haven't changed mine for ten years. I have no idea what the speed is but it cuts fine in timber - Rob

Anyone got one of the small 5 speed Axminster ones?

Any good?

I was looking at the "Engineering" one for just over a £100 with rack & pinion raise.

Some homework to be done I think :wink:

I think I set mine on a very slow speed when I got it, and haven't touched it since.
Although I do get the belt slipping when using big bits sometimes. Don't know if changing the speed would help with this. Probably need a new belt, or a new drill, it's only the Aldi one, so cheap as chips.

I bought mine from B&Q a few years ago for about £40 and, like some others on this thread, set a speed when I first had it and have never altered it since. In fact, I've long since forgotten what speed it's set at.

Given that the others are experts and I'm definitely not, this thread has been very reassuring for me :D

To the OP, I'd say begin with a medium speed and then see how you get on from there.

I do tend to change speeds on mine fairly regularly, depending on whether I'm drilling metal, wood or using a Forstner bit. But, having said that, 5 speeds has always been plenty, speed isn't too critical.

I'm looking into upgrading my cheapo one - I'm also considering the Axminster ED16SB as a good compromise spec for a small workshop. Anything higher spec also jumps up to nearer 80Kg weight and a lot larger so can't be manhandled round the workshop if needs be.

If you do get one, please post a short review here :wink: .

Boz

I've got a B&Q one as well. I find it works really well.

If I'm using forstner/large spade bits, I tend to change to a lower speed as this gives the greatest torque. A large bit can stall my drill at higher speeds.

Other than that, I tend to keep mine on its fastest setting for anything under 10mm wood drilling.

630rpm and I very rarely change: it's a compromise speed and works fine for 99% of jobs in wood and metal. You feel more in control with a slower speed....

John

Ive got the JET JDP 15 and only ever use 3 speeds. I do quite a range of metal and wood working but have never found need for anything more. Manufacturers seem obsessed with loads of speeds, and the middle pullyey makes the whole train noisier than it should be...

Hi,

I have a varible speed Axminister one, and I do change speeds quite often because its just a case of winding a handle on the side. Getting the right speed is well worth it you get a lot better finish.

Pete

I got an Axy one a couple of months ago - it's been very useful, but I've not had cause to change speeds yet. I'm only round the corner so let me know if you want to try before you buy.

So with all this in mind, do I need to spend £100 or should I just go for one of thr cheaper Axi ones?

I like the idea of the rack and pinion lift, how are they normally adjusted, is it just an allen bolt?

I quite like the little Jet one at Axi as well

jedmc571":9tkhllnm said:
So with all this in mind, do I need to spend £100 or should I just go for one of thr cheaper Axi ones?

I like the idea of the rack and pinion lift, how are they normally adjusted, is it just an allen bolt?

I quite like the little Jet one at Axi as well

If you mean this one then you may be shocked as to how "little" really is :shock: I looked at it in H.Wyc. and it really is small !!
Mark

Back