Pigs ear handrail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to install a pigs ear handrail for someone. Can anyone advise if there is a rule of thumb for how to determine the length of handrail in relation to the stairs etc? Never fitted one before so don't want to mess it up at the buying stage!

Cheers folks.

Thanks for this post Joe. I'm in the same position as you, except that the "for someone" is me. Bookmarked and will be watching replies with interest as this is completely new to me.

Would also like to know at what height (above the stairs) the hand rail should be set, and where exactly that dimension should be measured to/from.

TIA

AES

Don't know if its the same for wooden stairs, but for steel fire escapes the handrail top should be a minimum of 900mm vertically above the nose of the tread.

Thanks very much to both of you for the prompt replies. Very helpful (as always here).

For t8hants - these stairs are concrete, but I guess that makes little difference - it's only in my own home and will not be inspected by anyone.

For katellwood - thanks for the link. I've already down loaded and saved that .pdf and will look at it later. As above, nothing I'm doing is in any way "official" (it really is DIY in my own home!) but a useful guide I'm sure - lots of these rules and regs are there for good reasons.

Thanks again to you both.

AES

No problem AES. Cheers for the information guys. Brilliant.

Is there a particular technique or rule of where to drill/place fixings on a pigs ear rail. It's a bit of a weird shape.

You dont wanns make a pigs ear of it!

Dont the brackets fit underneath on the flat. I used the ones from screwfix...... Oops -I just realised the pigs ear shaped handrails go straight to the wall D'oh!

I have never fixed one, but when I removed a pigs ear handrail from my Mums 1930s house to fit a stairlift, it was fixed with long cut nails wanged thru it - no science!

Back