PICTURE POSTING - PLEASE READ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Members posting pictures is to be encouraged. WIP and completed project pictures etc are of great value. But PLEASE ensure that the images are of a managable size. Either use PhotoShop or Photostudio or the free application that is included in Windows etc. I'm sure there's other ways to reduce image size so please have a look around or ask any questions here.
When oversized pictures are posted those on dial-up can go see a movie in the time it takes to download, not to mention the hassle and irritation involved in scrolling a couple miles eastward to see the complete image.
Many other forums do not allow pictures over a certain size to be posted and many insist on thumbnails. So please resize before posting. As mentioned pictures are more than welcome so any problems posting please ask as there are many members who will be only too happy to help.
Here's an excellent example of how a picture post should be done:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7179
Please take note.

I'll post this in the OT forum and shadow post in the General forum so hopefully we can get things sorted. Or maybe get a sticky organised in due course.

Many thanks

Noel

Noel,
there is an excellent post here somewhere that demonstrates how few kbs can be used but still provide excellent viewing quality.

Can I also point out that oversized avatars are also pushing the text and images further east. The recommended avatar size of 80 x 80 and 6kbs seems to be often ignored.

Andy

Can I also point out that oversized avatars are also pushing the text and images further east. The recommended avatar size of 80 x 80 and 6kbs seems to be often ignored.

Hey Noel your avatars to big. :lol:

Do you think that you could be scaring people off from posting pictures on this forum by being to fussy.

At the end of the day we all love piccys being posted don't we ?

dedee":1ojoym2r said:
Noel,
there is an excellent post here somewhere that demonstrates how few kbs can be used but still provide excellent viewing quality.

Andy

Thankyou Andy for pointing my avatar size, hope the resized one on your left is ok. I'll not bother to go looking for the excellent post that you mention......But thanks.
FTC, thanks for the link to the resizing application.
"Do you think that you could be scaring people off from posting pictures on this forum by being to fussy.

At the end of the day we all love piccys being posted don't we ?"
Sawdust Producer - what are you on about???? Read the first post in the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day y'all

Noel

Im being told off aren't i :oops: The first 3 came out fine then i got ecxited i could post pictures , i didn't know they where big , honest guv .

there is a nifty Power Toy that you can down load from Microsoft if you use XP. Its a right click and resize type thing, removes the necessity to use fireworks or Photoshop.

Link is http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx

and its called Image Resizer..bout half way down the list

The ALT TAB thingie is quite neat as well.

Just an FYI

Opps Sorry Noel :oops: I was not directing my commment directly at you. There are much larger avatars out there.

The link I was referring to is http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/size/size.htm and was posted up by Chas (CHJ) some time ago.
It demonstrates very clearly how small, in both dimensions and file size, an image can be while retaining clarity.

Andy

Noel, any problem on my picture sizing?. I use the Serif photo plus 10 export optimiser after having already resized pics down to maximum of 400 pixels .

No Dev, your picture posting is just right......
See you at Westpoint.

Noel

Back