Picture mount cutter.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Can anybody recommend a good picture mount cutter?

Not sure if it is worth getting a mounted on a rail type or just a hand held version.

Cheers, Merlin

Well like a lot of things the answer is it depends; how many are you going to do, are you going to do multi-aperture, v grooves, etc, etc? The hand held jobbies might be ok for the occasional mat but you'll need some serious patience to lay it all out accurately and avoid overcuts.

Logan do a fairly cheap mat cutter which is ok but for a more professional tool have a look at Keencut; they're very expensive new but are always coming up on fleabay.

As already stated, it depends on what you want to do. I purchased a Logan Model 301-S Compact Mat Cutter (or an identical model) about 25 years ago. It doesn't get a lot of use but I wouldn't be without it. With a little care it can produce excellent results.

James

merlin":3ednt84u said:
or just a hand held version.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Jakar hand-held version is utterly useless - I fared much better with an Olfa craft knife doing it freehand than using that monstrosity.

Like Jake, I'm not very impressed with the Jakar cutter I bought last year. Without checking I can't remember the model but I can use it freehand or clipped on to the aluminium ruler.
It's a cheap plastic blade holder not accurate, difficult to use and flexes like hell. Though I can cut a better bevel with it than using a scalpel, it isn't much of an improvement.

Waste of money, I should have bought a better one.

Bob

The Jakar is a cheap copy of the Olfa Mount cutter, the Olfa is OK for the odd mount now and then the Jakar is OK for the bin.

If you are going to be doing a reasonable number then the Logan Compact 301S works well, I've cut several thousand on one.

J

if your after cutting single windows then get a logan 301s
if your after cutting mutli windows say 4 photos then get a keencut

Thanks for the advice, I will keep a look out on the church of ebay.

I have quite a few to do with people always asking so will have to spend proper money - same as any tool I suppose , you get what you pay for.

Thanks, Merlin

Latest posts

Back