Picture hanging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought a big picture today, and it is heavy. At a guess, 15-20kgs. It is already strung, although I would have preferred the string to be secured a little lower.

Until now, I have used picture hanging kits from wilco or similar, which are brass coloured hooks with a nail (/pin) or two in. Pictures hung are small and or light in weight so no real issue or stress on the fixings.

I feel that I am missing something. What is the best picture hanging solution out there? What are the experts using?

No, but looking through the internet, the stas system seems to be an aluminium picture rail. I am fairly sure that is what the gallery was using and it looks modern.

marcros":180r5cwc said:
No, but looking through the internet, the stas system seems to be an aluminium picture rail. I am fairly sure that is what the gallery was using and it looks modern.
Yes, they are tracks attached high on the wall. Metal cords hang from the rail to the frame, you can adjust height using the length of cords.

Check out art shops, like Great Art online, then do some googling to find lower prices.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just to close out this thread, with some feedback.

I went with the stas minirail kit. I used great art, who were cheapest overall. Their packaging and communication left something to be desired and the first delivery was bent on arrival. They replaced it, but it was all a bit of a mystery when both the first and the second delivery was going to arrive!

The product itself is really good. Looks great to me but is largely unnoticeable to everybody else. Easy to install, 6mm holes every 300mm. I did upgrade the hooks, because the ones that came with the kit would only take 4kgs each, and the upgrades looked much better. Within each kit were 2 wires, and since I used 3 kits to do the wall I have plenty for future pictures. The next picture to be hung on that wall will take literally seconds.

Interesting thread Marcros. Bit late to it.
I do some work in some very high end / design led offices on occasion. Candy Brothers was an eye opener even for me. I was asked to take my boots off. The white silk carpet was a grand a metre. Then they asked me to move a vase that was in front of a window.
Errrrmno.
Well I can't move it obviously the lady said, I'm not insured for a piece of that value and she told me how much it was worth.
Not kidding you. I laughed a bit like a maniac.
Errr.
Ok.
See ya.
Walked out and never went back.
The vase cost more than my house. Twice over. My house!

I was presuming you were after a system like Posilock. https://www.s3i.co.uk/posilockM8.php
(I've just been googling it I'm not pretending to be an expert on hanging pictures)! But I must admit I do like the system where rather than the standard picture rail you have wall fixings top and bottom on either side. Very smart, very brushed chrome but won't fit in my house at all really. Should probably fit all the architraves and skirtings and last remaining doors first. :D DIY is for winter! (hammer) God Bless my Mrs!

Your system looks very smart too. Can you post a photo or two if at all possible if it's not too much trouble?
What if your wall is not white? Ali?
Cheers and thanks for finishing the thread. Trying to finish the thread. :roll:
Best,
Chris

IMG_20190717_185035-1843x1037.jpg
Hard to get a picture but a couple below. You don't half visit some nice central London places!

I think you can have white or silver, and I am fairly sure that I read that the white one can be painted over. There are various options with cables. I went with the free ones that came with the kit, and they are see-through. I do quite like the metal cable ones for an industrial look, but sure that it would suit the house.

IMG_20190717_185048-1843x1037.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_185048-1843x1037.jpg
    IMG_20190717_185048-1843x1037.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20190717_185035-1843x1037.jpg
    IMG_20190717_185035-1843x1037.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20190717_185057-1843x1037.jpg
    IMG_20190717_185057-1843x1037.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 442
Many thanks Marcros. That looks brilliant and very different from what I imagined. Very neat.
Love the picture by the way!

Nice!
How did you upgrade the hooks? Are they a standard fitting?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I upgraded the hooks that attach to the picture, (that you can't see). They just have a hole in that clamps onto the cord/wire. the cheap ones were pressed and bent metal, the better ones are more of an assembly. You can't upgrade the hook at the top- not that there is anything wrong with that, but it would be much cheaper if you could make your own cords up. I guess that is how they make their money!

I think the normal thing for a work like that, assuming you're not looking to move it around often, would be mirror plates.

Hi Mark, interesting thread. I was a bit of a heathen by comparison. No1 child had me hang an ornate mirror she'd bought, which was half my body weight... I used rawbolts and 100mm metal strap hooks. Just about felt safe to step back and check it was level. T'was, thank God.

Sam

Seeing how it's building up to Saturday Night levels of excitement (my life nowadays... :| ) will share a cornicing 'tip' I discovered by chance experiment that I've not seen elsewhere (or noticed at least, it's coving after all. Who actually looks at it? It's to hide movement cracks essentially between the wall and the floor above).
Might just save some unfortunate soul a few hours mindnumbing menial.
I detest painting coving even more than normal painting. I can decorate to a very good level. I just don't enjoy it anymore. There are a million things I would rather do than decorate these days. In fact the list is almost infinite. I'd nearly finished decorating yet another room, but I looked at the coving in despair. I had a tin of spray gloss spare bought as an experiment. Time stood still. A rusty gear turned over one cycle with a 'click'. Hmmmmm..... I wonder?
What you do is get a rattlecan of spray gloss paint. What you need on existing coving is a clean and one spray coat. You do it last after masking with whatever you use. Two people can hold two bits of card up and spray at a rate of knots. No tape, cutting in etc.
What happen is that your coving is now holding a slight but definite shine. It stands out 'just enough' to pick the detail from the coving but it doesn't look gaudy.
It looks brilliant in fact against the matt walls and ceiling and saves you hours of painting detailed coving.
Buy me a pint one day.
Cheers,
Chris

marcros":3v8onfdu said:
The house is 70s/80s I would think, so there is no real age to it. It does look nice though, and subtle at the same time.

Completely off topic, but you caused me to google to see what period it was mimicking. I stumbled on https://www.stevensons-of-norwich.co.uk ... s/cornice/

Cracking company. We bought our cornicing from them. Proper job.

Another good period company to look at their website is http://atkeyandco.com

Latest posts

Back