Picture framing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid this is a complete amateur question, but I am a complete amateur. I'm making a picture frame, and I was wondering what was the best way to join the bits together. All the ones I've looked at just seem to be joined at a 45 degree angle with pins and glue, which seems a bit flimsy to me. How would I go about making a stronger joint?

Cheers.

There are many ways, to make it stronger - try a dowel joint, biscuit joint, lap joint etc...

Picture frames are not usually stressed an awful lot, so it doesn't matter if there not 'too' strong. With todays modern glues joints are getting stronger and stronger. I havn't done much picture frames - but the ones I have made are just 45 degree mitres and glue and pins - they have been fine.

I agree with James: modern glues give frames an awful lot of strength and are adequate for most purposes. Don't forget that most frames are also rebated to take the picture too, so inserting the backboard also adds enormously to the strength.

If you fancy reinforcing the mitre joint, why not set up a jig at a router table that will hold the frame vertically at 45 degrees? (It's difficult to describe this in words but I hope you can get the gist!) Passing each corner of the frame over a dovetail cutter will cut a recess for you to insert a dovetail joint. This can look very attractive (especially if the dovetail is in a contrasting timber to the main frame) and reinforce the frame considerably. Of course you can do this by hand too, if you've got the time and the skill :) .

Yours

Gill

Hi,

Thanks for the tips - I think I'm going to plump for a dowel joint - the dovetail sounds great but is probably a bit beyond my expertise and my tool kit at the moment. Next time maybe.

Cheers though.

A simple technique to reinforce picture frame mitre joints is to add a spline. After assembling the frame, cut a slot across the joint. This is done by holding the frame in some jig so the corner is done, and running it across your table saw. This will make a 1/8" wide slot. Make a spline from a scrap of wood, also 1/8" thick and glue it in place.

I hope I was clear. The technique is easier than dowels, and stronger too.

Modern glues are good, but they do not work well on end grain, this will help your picture frame stand up to some rough handling.

Araldite instant. Amazing stuff, if a little pricey. Once set (and it is quick) you'll break the wood before the joint. Terrific gear!

Back