Picture frame, first attempt !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike's illustration is nearly right :)
As it stands it would open up the point of the mitre. Try to get the pressure in line with the centre of the mitre, somewhere between the heel and the toe.........

Quick 'n dirty illustration, but yes, you're right. However, on a picture frame or similar 4 sided figure it matters less, because the other pieces keep everything square.

The Veritas Frame Clamp is a very useful(l)* bit of kit.

View attachment 90275

* 😇

Yep, this is an excellent bit of kit.

Mitres are just fine and easy with a frame clamp and a decent shooting board.

As for not using a crown guard... the USA has 6x the rate of industrial accidents as the U.K. which is of no surprise.

Aidan

Mike's illustration is what I was getting at.

With the spline jig you built you could make it safer. Have the vertical panel straddle your fence (can't see if it is in the picture) so in cross section it looks like the letter h gives you more control. If you make the 45º sloped bit wider and put a triangle of plywood on each one to cover the blade you keep the blade from ever being exposed outside of the little bit at the bottom of the V. A light clamp or two will hold the frame or small box to the face of the jig so your hands don't have to do anything more than push the jig over the blade. It's what I do even though I now have a SawStop and use it with the guard or riving knife most of the time. With a little thought most any machine tool jig can be made safer without a lot of effort.

Pete

That's exactly what the jig does at the moment (Can't see in the photo) but behind is a U shape bit that rides over the top of the fence, and frame clamped to the vert. board to stay well away :)

Mike's illustration is nearly right :)
As it stands it would open up the point of the mitre. Try to get the pressure in line with the centre of the mitre, somewhere between the heel and the toe.
This is my contribution to the technique:

Thanks Steve, will have a watch of this in a moment

Thanks for all the suggestions re; mitre clamps, will have a proper look at the differences today and get something ordered up.

Did anyone have a view on finishing the frame, what to use ?

Latest posts

Back