Pics of my coffee table - at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very well made and stylish into the bargain. In fact, it suits the rest of the decor admirably. Congratulations :) .

Gill

Gill":o87waz2h said:
It's very well made and stylish into the bargain. In fact, it suits the rest of the decor admirably. Congratulations :) .

Gill

Thanks Gill :lol: :D :)

Excellent. Mitres worked out really well.

Noel":2i2bmf12 said:
Excellent. Mitres worked out really well.

Yes - not too bad - they're a pig to get right though, especially in wood as hard as maple. I've now got my table saw setup spot-on (for another project) and found this is pretty important! ;)

Very nice table, is that white laminate glass or etched on the underside :?:

Jason

jasonB":1wsokrz4 said:
Very nice table, is that white laminate glass or etched on the underside :?:

Jason

It's etched - can't remember what it's called - something like satin. Quite a standard type of glass though. It's toughened too.

Crisp, elegant, simple and stylish.
Perfectly executed mitres (praying on your behalf that they stay together!)
Good job! Well done!

For future reference, photos of that immaculate workshop should be banned. What if TPTB see them over my shoulder :shock: :D :wink:

Aragorn":2ayknmgu said:
Crisp, elegant, simple and stylish.
Perfectly executed mitres (praying on your behalf that they stay together!)
Good job! Well done!

For future reference, photos of that immaculate workshop should be banned. What if TPTB see them over my shoulder :shock: :D :wink:

It's not quite so immaculate now after building an aquarium cabinet out of veneered MDF - first time I've worked properly with MDF - what a mess, even with the dust extractor running! Lovely clean, accurate cuts though :)

The pics of the cabinet so far are here: http://www.siliconpixel.com/gallery/CabinetBuild

The mitres are joined with a couple of No20 biscuits on each joint - hopefully they should stay together - any reason they wont???

Paul.

Oh, and you did all tell me that the workshop would never be big enough at 4m x 4m - I didn't believe you....

...until I crammed it with kit ;)

Digizz":2ot73acp said:
The mitres are joined with a couple of No20 biscuits on each joint - hopefully they should stay together - any reason they wont???
Fingers crossed, they will be fine.
I don't know what the time scale is for safety in terms of wood movement... One lot of each season probably!
Mitres have a tendancy to open up if the wood hasn't been well seasoned.
Don't mean to worry you. They will probably be absolutely fine.
Let's have a photo in 6 months time :wink:

Aragorn":geqc1u20 said:
Digizz":geqc1u20 said:
Fingers crossed, they will be fine.
I don't know what the time scale is for safety in terms of wood movement... One lot of each season probably!
Mitres have a tendancy to open up if the wood hasn't been well seasoned.
Don't mean to worry you. They will probably be absolutely fine.
Let's have a photo in 6 months time :wink:

Well hopefully, it's OK - it's been in the house finished for 6 months already! Wouldn't the wood move in the same direction across the mitre anyway ???

Well that's good news Digizz. Very unlikely to open up now I'd have thought.
If they do move, mitres tend to open up at the point, but after 6 months yours are looking as good as new.
Good job!

Looks great - you should be extremely proud of that one... great design, great execution, and those mitres are downright crispy!

Very nice. The simplicity of the piece belies the complications of manufacture - well done

Andy

Back