Pics as promised

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well here are a few pictures of the computer desk now it is finished:
scompleteddrawerspv2.jpg

I couldn't get a full view of it as there isn't enough room in our small bedroom. I should also mention my boob too as it was too high to fit under the window ledge so i had to cut away three quarters of the plinth! :oops: Still it doesn't look too bad and the drawers all work well even the one close to the carpet. :roll:
tfinishedshelfingsq7.jpg

I was pleased with the joint on the top and the finish I acheived:
ujointba1.jpg

This is the wides view I could manage given the tight space:
vdeskfinishedtl6.jpg

All that remains now is to fit a filler between the desktop and the wall and install the computers of course. :wink:

Nice one, did you need lots and lots of clamps to put the bend edging on with ?
regards, Catface.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. As for loading it up Waka hang on I will have to re rout all the cables upstairs now after having the computer in the dinning room for so long. :roll: As for the the edging yes I did need lots of clamps for it and still didn't have enough ending up with pieces of woodpushing parts of it while the glue dried I did intend to buy some of the three way edging clamps for it but my local Screwfix were out of stock of them. The finish is Wickes water based white gloss. I sealed and primed the MDF with two coats of Johnstones MDF primer applied with a foam roller and then used the RAS and 320grit to smooth it. I then applied two coats of the white with a HVLP gun. This was allowed to dry for two days before wet sanding the whole lot down with 800 wet n dry. This was then polished using a machine polisher and fine rubbing compound. Finally it was given a buffing with Mr Sheen. :wink: There are still small imperfections in it but for a computer desk top I think it will do. :D

Alan,
It is a great result and just right for its intended purpose.

I am still intrigued by the edging - it looks too thick to simply be bent - did you cut kerfs or what?

no not kerfed Chris it was laminated in three pieces. It stil took some bending though and a lot of clamps. Each lamination was 1/4" thick. :wink:

Back