Pickling your own onions - last post?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon brethren
If this is my last post you will know that it is because I am a gonner.

I decided I'd like to pickle my own onions this year. I remember my mum doing it when we were kids and it's not difficult, once you've done the peeling chore.

So they were brined overnight and now I'm preparing the vinegar.

I'd forgotten just how much it stinks the house out. I have all the windows open and I'm still coughing and spluttering. It will be a miracle if I survive the process.

Nice knowing you all.

S

PS Anyone know where there are any sloes left? I can't find any :(

Steve Maskery":3pgml9ol said:
PS Anyone know where there are any sloes left? I can't find any :(

Season was super early. I picked mine towards mid Septermber, and they were already heavily picked at that stage.

BugBear

What do you onion picklers actually do to the onions? I always grow onions and shallots from sets cause they are dead easy but when I pickled some of the shallots they were too raw and crunchy. The girl friend avoided me for a while afterwards :( .

How can I make pickled onions and shallots that don't reduce the consumer to tears?

P.S, if this is my last post it's only cause I've been banished from the house for having strong onion breath.

Good q, F
I've soaked mine in brine overnight, rinsed them and put them into sterilised jars. Then I've boiled some vinegar (malt, red wine and a dash of balsamic) with a little sugar and a stick of cinnamon and then, when everything had cooled down, packed them into sterilised jars with a piece of chilli, a couple of bay leaves and some peppercorns.

I have no idea whether they will turn out to be blow-your-head-off, bland, plain unpleasant or simply the best pickled onions you ever did taste.

pickled onions.jpg

Attachments

• pickled onions.jpg
    pickled onions.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,089
I make very nice pickles. For a reasonable sized jar I use a pickling spice mix which is the normal peppercorns, chillies, pimentos, cloves and mustard seeds, a tsp. of sugar, half a tsp. of salt, some extra chillies, a glug of cheap balsamic vinegar and decent malt vinegar. I don't salt the onions or soak them in saline, nor do I boil the vinegar. I can't see it makes the slightest difference. Very little smell in the house. Works for me.

phil.p":2wmgzmcd said:
I don't salt the onions or soak them in saline, nor do I boil the vinegar. I can't see it makes the slightest difference.

Just to clarify; did you try it, and it made no difference, or do you think it couldn't (in your experience and judgement as a maker of nice pickles) make any difference, and so haven't tried it.

Both are valid, I'd just like to know which you mean.

BugBear

My (extremely limited) understanding is that salting them draws out water and so keeps them crisper than they would be otherwise, and boiling the vinegar is just to dissolve the sugar and infuse the other spices.
I've just spoken to my mum and she never salted them. Her onions were evilly good, IIRC.
S

Re: Pickling your own onions - last post?

Not another 'last post thread'! :D

I dont think onions can be sold on here, it wouldnt comply with the for sale section rules...........although provided they werent on ebay at the same time.........

While you are pickling Steve , why not do up a jar of eggs? I do some of the most evil looking pickled eggs you ever saw in your life, tasty though they are many wont even uncap the jar for fear of releasing evil spirits. My secret is to just add whatever I think will add zip to the basic vinegar brine including habaneros and open seed mustard , not for those who like the merely vinegared eggs with tsp of pickling spice I assure you! Once the brine looks enough like swamp water , I layer sliced onions , minced garlic and habs with the eggs and pour the near boiling witches brew to cover. Wish I had a batch in at the moment to show a picture , guess your imagination will have to do until I put a batch on. Word of warning if you do try this. Under no circumstances should you inflict yourself on others in restricted spaces like elevator for at least a day after consuming.

My friend years ago pickled mushrooms that were rather nice. The only ingredient I remember was mace. On a slightly different tack, saffron vinegar is good, especially with tomatoes. Just put a pinch in a bottle of wine or cider vinegar and leave for a month or two.

Latest posts

Back