Picked Up Another Vice, Not So Lucky This Time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I was just greedy, I already had a vice, rededa-no-2-t117078.html

Bought a Record no 52 1/2 E. Cleaned it and assembled it then clamped some wood, there is a hairline crack, it’s a frickin dud. Damn.
On a bright side, the threaded rod and the half nut are in excellent shape, keep it for spares, my conscience will not allow me to re-sell it to another sucker.

Attachments

• IMG_4231.JPG
    IMG_4231.JPG
    778.5 KB · Views: 309
Out of interest, how much did you pay for it?

I just picked up a new vice from workshopheaven

https://www.workshopheaven.com/york-woo ... vr802.html

£90, although not quick release (I didn't want it really). I know people say that the old Record vices are better quality, but for £90, and from a respected dealer, I figured why not? Haven't installed it yet, but it's seems excellent value for money. The 2nd hand ones aren't that much cheaper when you add PP, andf this is obvisouly new, so requires no restoration.

transatlantic":10lwophh said:

I don't want to say, I'll make me look like an even bigger silly person. :lol:

If it stands you in a tidy lump of money, it might be worth getting the crack welded rather than give it to the scrap man.

I wonder if you could drill a hole, tap it, and then insert a bolt? You could need to clamp out the gap first though.

Would be a quick and easy fix if it worked?

Osvaldd":3dxf95v9 said:
transatlantic":3dxf95v9 said:

I don't want to say, I'll make me look like an even bigger silly person. :lol:

Goooo ooonnnn!
:twisted:

What Phil said. Unless its a lot worse than the photo it might well be ok for woodwork. When in place it will be pulling it shut. Test fit it some scrap and try it first.

The crack is barely visible when no pressure is applied, it only shows it’s ugly face when tightened. But the frequent tightening and un-tightening - I think its a matter of time before it snaps in two.
Put a bolt like this on each side maybe?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 10.53.14.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 10.53.14.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
I'd be tempted to put something like an 8mm steel plate on the underside and bolt that to it. At least you can see now why you shouldn't do heavy hammering in a vice and always on the bench over a leg.

I would offer you the castings from the 52 1/2Es that I pulled out of a skip but they've got the same problem, damn college kids with their abuse! :x

P1010002.JPG
A bolt where you have drawn may be the answer. Worth a try anyway. Way I see it when it is bolted to a bench that should also help hold things together. I bought an asian made modern replica of the quick reliece vice for my previous bench and after a few months it started to let go. Pain the the ar$# when the workpiece hits the concrete floor. The old records thread is way better than on the modern replicas that do not hold on a half nut soon as even a bit of ware starts or even some dirt on the thread. .If it all fails keep the thread and other moving parts and perhaps get lucky. Anyhow my try at a QR vice put me right off so on my current bench I got a simple vice screw with the good feeling that nothing can go wrong.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    441.5 KB · Views: 334
Osvaldd":2v1tt4gy said:
I guess I was just greedy, I already had a vice...
Not being greedy at all, many people like to have two vices on their bench or like to also have a vice on a secondary/outdoor bench.

You could reinforce this easily with epoxy and one or more steel or iron plates. Take the casting back to bare iron, very roughly scratch the plate surface (60 grit or lower, and/or drill numerous small divots all over), degrease both with acetone, apply epoxy thickly and place the reinforcement plate in position, then leave it for the epoxy to fully cure before putting it under stress. Even for 30-min stuff this may mean overnight or a full day.

A repair like this should last decades at least.

phil.p":2bkzs83i said:
Just a thought - are you tightening it on something without its being fitted?

Yes, the vice is not fitted yet and I am tightening it pretty good, putting almost all my weight on the handle. Is that bad?

Is it supposed to be out of square?

Attachments

• IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    627.1 KB · Views: 96
Osvaldd":bhjhtgo8 said:
Is it supposed to be out of square?
You're checking the wrong side but yes, no or it doesn't matter.

Even quality vintage vices aren't consistent on this. Why it doesn't really matter is if you're lining the jaws (or only one of them) you can plane the surface of the board out of square so that the vice grips first at the top.

This is referred to as toe-in if you want to read more on it, I think Paul Sellers has an old page on the subject and it's been written about here for sure at some point over the years.

I didn’t know about “toe-in”, thanks lads.
But I was actually referring to the back side and the installation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 07.43.29.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 07.43.29.png
    110 KB · Views: 56
p.s. I think enough time passed, I'll tell you how much I payed for the vice:

a whole bloody tenner. :D

Back