Picked Up Another Vice, Not So Lucky This Time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vise dates back to the 60's at least and it has a similar out of square corner but not as much as yours.
It doesn't have the optional crack though.

Pete

Osvaldd":1yt4szrv said:
p.s. I think enough time passed, I'll tell you how much I payed for the vice:

a whole bloody tenner. :D
See, it's profligate spending like this that's ruining the secondhand market.

Re. the back of the rear casting, if you like chisel out a bit for a close fit (closer fit, this isn't like fitting a gun to its stock) or use packing pieces/folding wedges.

Yeh mine was the same Osvald. I took pics to ask on here but I don't think I got round to it. Just flush fitted it. I probably routed 3 or so minimal depth differences to the oak face (front face) from memory then cleaned up, the bench side I just took a gnats out with a chisel by hand.
It's been fine. I think the fixing strength is on the four bolts and the tensions exerted by the vice are shear to these and even compressive. A reasonable fit is fine I would guess. That's why I suggested giving it a go. Unless you plan on doing it up with a piece of scaff tube or tempering iron in it it for me the gamble would be whether to throw good money after bad. If you can fix it with a bolt or other means all the better. Ideal solution is welding but can be tricky/finickey I understand so maybe pricey unless you know someone or are lucky.
I got an old cast stove top welded many years ago. I was young and cabbage green and it was my only means of not dying from hypothermia in my little caravan in the wildlands of a hard Snowdonian winter. Looking back the fella moaned and groaned but he did it for pennies bless him because I was a 19 year old kid and he had a big heart and probably had kids of his own. If I walked into a local place now with the same situation I'd expect him to charge me £30 quid for the trouble at least. That's £40 quid after a broken vice. Might be different where you live.
Me. I'd fit it as is. Paid a tenner for it. If it breaks in a years time, strip it for parts, buy another, learn a lesson. The thread alone at that quality/vintage of build is a tenner in value, 2 years time you make a Moxxon vice or similar for pennies from parts you already have.
Chris

Just been able to drag my spare 52 1/2E out.
IMG_1540.JPG

About as square as expected from rough casting.

IMG_1543.JPG

Square to rods.

IMG_1541.JPG

Top of jaw closing first.
The threaded holes are 5/16 Whitworth threads.
I'm not to sure how old this one is, but it has the squared boss of the later types.
The idea was to put it on a sliding deadman, matching the fixed one......

Bod

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
Isn't this type of vice meant to have some toe-in (or top-in) to allow for slight bending under pressure? Must say that looks rather a lot, though.

p.s. I think enough time passed, I'll tell you how much I payed for the vice:

a whole bloody tenner. :D
That's a win then for the mechanism. I'd slap it in anyway. If it goes, then you have to get another one or a sound scrap one with a shot mechanism. If it doesn't go you got a very cheap vice.

Back