Piano seat sissor lift mechanism

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning peoples....

Talking with my neighbour yesterday and he'd like to make a seat/bench for his electric piano, but is struggling to find anywhere that sells just the mechanism. Any ideas..?

Nick

Building it yourself is pretty easy, depending on what you can make it out of. I built a scissor lift for a drum sander so that I could store it under a bench when not in use.

I found that making it strong enough to lift something was hard, but just moving between positions was easy, which is all you need for a piano stool.

The best option is metal, but wood works well too.

Metal example from TOT:

Wood example from Marius Hornberger:

You can buy lifting mechanisms, but a big one will be £150.

Maybe buy a tatty stool from a charity shop or similar, recover mechanism, throw rest away.

Lots of stools for electric keyboards have an X frame, adjustable via a locking peg in the pivot area or by limiting the spread under the seat. Not fine adjustment but if its mainly a single user it's OK.

Wonder if you could adapt a car scissor jack?

A Birmingham furniture maker called Joseph Fitter patented the screw device used for wind out sectional tables and I think piano stools.

Good morning peoples....

Talking with my neighbour yesterday and he'd like to make a seat/bench for his electric piano, but is struggling to find anywhere that sells just the mechanism. Any ideas..?

Nick

I've looked for something myself, same purpose and came up short. There's either recycling parts from an old one or some very, very expensive versions.

Would like to find one reasonably priced myself but I gave up and planned to just make one solid.

Back