Photomicroscopy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Holtham

Established Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys know anything about photomicroscopy? I need to produce some photomicrographs of timber cell structure as well as pics of what is happening at a tool cutting edge. Magnification needs to range from about 5X to 100X.

I vaguely remember doing all the preparation work and then looking at slides during my wood science course dozens of years ago, but as usual at that age you don't take too much notice of the equipment.

I am pretty well equipped camera wise, just need to wise up on the microscope hardware. I have trawled various sites and am sure it is down to you get what you pay for, but anyone got any hints.

Thanks,

Alan :)

)Alan

it is not too difficult to do. Are you intending to buy a microsocope or buidl one?

I designed and built a PC controlled one a couple of years back up to 200x optical resolution.

Remember tha tyour screen size also magnifies the image which takes the effective magnification up to very high levels - typical CCCD 13" and typical monitor 15-19"

I will dig out my calcs and post them when I get a bit more time (marking exams at present and flat out :cry:

it would be worth while contacting Nikon and Olympus both of whom offer a wide range of such equipment and their technical people are very helpful.
Lighting with such close ups is critical as im sure your aware usually a ring flash is recommended and lens speed also should be considered.
Wish you well as its a fascinating area of photography that few amateurs ever get into but its very satisfying when you get it right.
beejay

Thanks guys, looks like being an interesting project. Yes please Tony, would appreciate your calcs when you get a moment.

Thanks Pete,

I had already come across this but was concerned that at the price, the quality of the images might not be up to much, I need them for publication so they need to be pretty good. However it is far less than I was anticipating having to spend so could easily be convinced! Anyone any experience of this unit?

Hi Alan
you could try ringing the laboratory manger of the histology or biochemistry department in your local general hospital - they'll almost certainly have the means for mounting and photgraphing stuff - but it'll be difficult getting what you'd call and 'action shot' i suppose

Jim

Alan Holtham":2yi9al49 said:
I had already come across this but was concerned that at the price, the quality of the images might not be up to much, I need them for publication

I did wonder about the publication requirement. I think the quality you'll get from the QX5 will be fine; the issue is resolution. It captures images at 640x480 resolution; most books and magazines will want to print images at 250-300dpi. That means you can only print QX5 images at about 2.2x1.6 inches.

Might still work, I guess :)

Incidentally, the QX5 is the newest development of the old Intel model referenced in Alf's message.

Back