Philly's Entry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Finally getting somewhere with my entry for the competition.
Here's a WIP piccy!
2005_0413sophie-plane0020.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?
Will post completed photo tomorrow.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly

What's the big idea of posting a picture using 'F' clamps? What kind of gloat is that? :lol: (even I can afford those)

ooh-Alf! So close, so close........
Here's another pic (hopefully this will please the gloat-fans..... :wink: )
:
2005_0417yandles-plane0015.jpg

Cheers
MysteryPhilly :wink:

What a dilemma!

It will either work superbly in which case Philly will rue all his expensive purchases (not to say the gloats?). Or, it will work like rubbish in which case the competition is a dead duck.

(I guess I was forgetting the magazine articles that could be written about it!)

Tough call. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allright!
My entry-yes, its a wood bodied plane! The cheeks are MDF (fulfilling the rules) and the "infill" is Padauk.
I have been itching to build my own plane for a while, especially since reading David Finck's book "building and mastering wooden planes". In this book, he explains how to build a "Krenov" style hand plane ( and if you check my web-site you'll know I'm building a "krenov" style cabinet at the moment :D )
When the competition was announced, I was stuck for a good idea. Man made materials, eh? Then, whilst considering making a plane, BINGO! I could make the cheeks from MDF! :roll: I was unsure if it would be stiff enough, but you'll (like me!) be pleased to know that it is. The plane works great (sorry Chris :lol: )
2005_0417yandles-plane0051.jpg

I have posted a load of step-by-step pictures detailing construction here...
http://www.philsville.co.uk/wooden_plane.htm
There was an amount of sapwood in the paduak which went well with the MDF-a couple of coats of Chestnut finishing oil brought it out well.
2005_0417yandles-plane0044.jpg

And finally, one to scare your kids with!!!
2005_0417yandles-plane0037.jpg

No laughing at the back! :lol:
The plane works really well-measured the shavings at 1.5 thou. It is simple to set up and really light and relaxed to use. The low profile of the body (which I kept tweaking to give a comfortable grip) makes for easy planing, and you can pull it as easily as pushing due to its shape.
The plane iron I ordered off David Fincks web site-complete with well fitting chip breaker and made of cryo A2 steel, it is a gem and cuts really well.
All in all, it was fun to make and I'm really pleased with the way it came out.
Cheers
Philly :D

That's lovely, Philly. Who'd have thought MDF could be used in such a way?

Now, about those redundant LNs ;) :) ...

Gill

Philly, its absolutely :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# oops as i am a judge i simply cannot comment at the moment. Gloat at me will you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously, it is good to see some very clear pictures, which will make the life of all the judges easier.

Regards

Woody

Hmmmmmm,
The world's first MDF infill plane eh?
After the loopy, we now have the inphilly.
I actually kind of like it in a twisted sort of way. :D
Very original. Nice job!
Frank

Philly,
Nice plane. An MDF plane to boot - but will it plane MDF?

Did you do the embroidery on your apron as well?

Andy

Back