Phew - I made the deadline!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Mahon

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I would not get this project done in time, but luckily a break in the paying work this weekend gave me just enough time to finish:
craddle3.jpg

craddle4.jpg

Made in Ash with painted plywood panels and 32 pine spindles also painted. This was my first attempt at repeat turning, and I won't be rushing to do too much more :shock: good for practising technique, but after about 10 spindles I was well bored!

Other lessons learned - I should have made a jig to drill for the assembly bolts and dowls that hold the side to the ends - I measured every one and drilled the long rails freehand which was far from ideal, of course the evening after doing it I thought that the jig would have been much easier :oops: and I paid the price when it came to assembly, all a bit tight.

I don't know what the panic was - finished with 4 weeks to spare, I might even get time to enter the comp now!

And because people are always looking for WIP pictures - here I am trying it for size:
craddle_wip.jpg

Snug but it should do :? I never remember to bring the camera out to the WS to get any decent WIP photos, and the state of my WS does not warant too many pics!

Les

Les,
that looks lovely and could well be a heirloom piece for future generations.
Congrats on completing it with so much time to spare.

With the heirloom thing in mind how about after the babe is born getting a small silver plate engraved with name and date? If this was then repeated with each addition to the family over coming generations it would add quite some interest. I know for example that my wife and her 3 sisters and their collective 9 children have all used the same crib (my twins had to share it) and I think some of their cousins used it too and I see no reason why it should not last for the 3rd generation and beyond.

Andy

Good job Les! Your workshop looks as tidy as mine! :D

Cheers

You not only made the deadline, you made it with style, too :) .

Gill

I know its not the done thing to say this sort of thing but:

that is one bl**dy ugly baby! :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers

Tim

ps nice crib btw :wink:

Well done Les, I don't think I could build anything that looks like that, but I've got a workshop that looks just like yours. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Alan.

Thanks for the kind comments guys (tim - I'll let yours slide :lol: )

With the heirloom thing in mind how about after the babe is born getting a small silver plate engraved with name and date?
Nice idea - TLOML was sugesting I carve the name into crib, but that sounds a bit scary to me! I prefer your sugestion Andy!

when is the 'newbie' due
9th of march is the theoretical date, but if it's project delivery style is anything like it's parents.... some time after that :p

Are you a furniture maker by trade?
Ok, the photo probably flatters the quality somewhat but i'm humbled you might think that! I'm a computer consultant by trade - boring but it pays the bills, and the odd "essential purchase" for the workshop. The crib did itself proud in the "to make that I'll need" stakes, a morticer and a spindle sander mysteriously became "essential" :D :D :D

Les

Nice piece there Les :D

Congratulation on the coming baby too :D
My wife didn't want to build a crib! So I built the changing unit and wardrobe (no pics of that one).

Les,

Well done. Just a word of warning though, when the young rebel arrives you probably won't get much chance to use the morticer or sander, trust me I know. Best of luck.

Hi Les,

It looks great - well done! I have to second WoodPeckers comment, though, although you probably know that anyway having heard about the total lack of progress I've been making when you visited (and all I've done in the workshop since is put some lights up :oops:). Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you have a good sleeper, not an insomniac like our little fella!

Best of luck to you both on the big day :D,

Neil

Back