Phase 3 Covid vaccine trial recruits needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Synexus are carrying out a Phase 3 trial to evaluate SARS-CoV-2 Recombinant Nanoparticle vaccine from Novavax and are recruiting participants in certain areas. The North East being one and which is why I've signed up.

Please see synexus.com for more details.

And please NOTE! This NOT a thread about the whys and wherefores of vaccines. No posts saying "I'm not interested", thank you. Mods...at the first sign of argument please lock the thread as the key message is contained in this post.

I signed up as a poss volunteer via NHS for vaccine trials, but have been 'rejected' three times (I am 72, have an arrhythmia, but am very fit and well).

I do wonder why the reject as I think the older population with some conditions will be the first in line for vaccination - and thus should be included in the trials.

I'd bet the issue is risk and desire of success by the companies sponsoring the vaccines. They'd probably like it if they could get the easiest cross section possible.

I signed up as a poss volunteer via NHS for vaccine trials, but have been 'rejected' three times (I am 72, have an arrhythmia, but am very fit and well).

I do wonder why the reject as I think the older population with some conditions will be the first in line for vaccination - and thus should be included in the trials.

You are too old. Vaccines don't work well on the elderly and are especially risky to test new ones on them. They don't want you because you are more likely to die and even if you don't the data they get from you isn't as useful.

Ironically vaccines don't work as well on the elderly.....i.e. the group in most need of protection. It seems older immune systems don't like learning new tricks.

There is some good news though, the Moderna Covid vaccine trials are showing no extreme side effects and a good immune response.

It is also thought that anti aging drugs can enhance a Covid vaccines immune response for elderly people.

So there hope, but you personally may not be able to be involved in a trial.

China already has a virus on sale, which has the most original name of Coronavac. It's a bargain price of 2,000 rmb

'anti-aging drugs' ??
you'd better start another thread

Yeah it does sound like anti wrinkle cream

One promising class of anti-ageing drug acts on pathways involved in cell growth. These drugs inhibit a protein known as mTOR. In the laboratory, inhibiting mTOR lengthens lifespan in animals from fruit flies to mice. “mTOR is one of probably multiple biologic mechanisms that contribute to why we age and why our organ systems start to decline,” says Joan Mannick, co-founder and chief medical officer of resTORbio, a biotech company based in Boston, Massachusetts, that aims to develop anti-ageing therapies

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02856-7

OK - I accept that if Nature uses the phrase, it gives some credibility.

I think the effects of these anti ageing drugs on humans (as opposed to cloned lab mice) so far are even less than the anti-wrinklers - probably too late for me anyway.

I read the article - interesting but v speculative - (some early results from one of these have now shown poss effects but v small).

Back to the workshop --- will these drugs work on my old Black and Decker drill, which is giving up the ghost after over 40 years?

Last edited:

You could try registering directly with Synexus which is what I did.

Back