Phase 2 WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Phase 2 of the kitchen transformation is well underway, 9 doors completed and 7 in place.

Phase-2-001.jpg

This and the next pic shows some of the old doors in place.
Phase-2-002.jpg

Phase-2-003.jpg

new doors in place
Phase-2-006.jpg

Phase-2-005.jpg

Two more doors to fit today and and another 8 to make. Should have it all finished by next week.

Waka, very nice, don't tell my wife will you :wink:

Have you used a panel raising/coping router kit on the panels?

Waka

Very nice looking job :D :D =D> =D>

BUT :shock: SWMBO was looking over my shoulder, the kitchen doors that you are replacing are almost identical to ours.

I am sure you can quess the rest of our one sided conversation.

Les

Speaking as one who is bereft of a kitchen at present (Christmas dinner may be tomato ketchup sandwiches if work continues to progress at this rate :( ) I'm following this project keenly. It's coming on nicely.

Could you take me through the process of fitting the hinges, please?

Gill

Great job Waka. So are you just replacing the doors of your units? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Even more so after seeing that transformation.
Cheers
Gidon

DW":1fpw3wjc said:
Have you used a panel raising/coping router kit on the panels?

The rebate for the panels was cut with a 6mm twin flute bit and the slight recess on the inside edge was done with an ovola bit.

Trev":1fpw3wjc said:
I'd be interested to know which varnish you have applied they look great.

The varnish is clear with a silk finish, nothing special, Ronsel I think from B&Q, I put on 3 coats with a light rub down between.

Les":1fpw3wjc said:
BUT SWMBO was looking over my shoulder, the kitchen doors that you are replacing are almost identical to ours.

I am sure you can quess the rest of our one sided conversation.

Amazing how there always around when you'd rather browse on your own, happy kitchen refit.

Gill":1fpw3wjc said:
Could you take me through the process of fitting the hinges, please?

The hinges are quite straight forward, I have set the 35mm holes 5 mm from the edge of the door frame. When fitting the door to the cabinet (double door cabinet), the door has been held up against the cabinet, I have reached in and drilled the holes for the bracket that is attached to the hinge.
For the single door cabinests I use a spacer between the door and the cabinet, the door is held in the open position.
This may not be the conventional way of doing it but it really works.

If you are interested I can post some pic's next week when I hang some more, you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

All thanks for the kind words.
I had a few problems when I started hanging the doors because I have used existing cabinets and they are not the best in the world, a little sag here and there, but it worked out in the end. I did think that we should do the cabinets as well but my neighbour didn't want to go that far.

For all those out there thinking of doind something similar on instructions from the other half, I'll give you an idea of cost. all the american white oak to do 18 door, 4 drawers and the kick board, plus 2 8'x4' sheets of 6mm oak faced MDK, 22 door handles, 17 pairs of hinges. all for a hansom cost of 310 GBP, not bad I thought, mind you the labour is free.

Back