Petrol Price increases - what can we do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it> ... We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1 a litre.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day"
campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt
ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it
was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and
the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS
control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each
day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if
we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP
petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)> ...> and so on, by the time the message
reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on
to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If
it goes one level further, you guessed it... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.

That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrison's Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.

The supermarkets are so much cheaper than Esso and BP stations that it's crazy buying it elsewhere, given the choice. And if you don't have the choice (such as happens when an Esso station is the only one for miles around in a rural area) you've got no alternative but to buy what's available or become immobilised.

I can't see this campaign being successful.

Gill

Think you'll find that the Supermarkets are buying their fuel from BP etc.

Noel

A certain Mr. Brown takes by far the lion's share of every pound you pay for petrol. I suggest you boycott him and refuse to pay your taxes..

Petrol Price increases - what can we do?

Strikes me that buying shares in Petrol Companies sounds like a good idea?

Alternatively, as its a significant monthly spend in many households, get a credit card that gives "cashback" - its worth normally 1% isn't it? Thats a penny per litre almost to start with.

Adam

if mr brown took all the tax and vat off fuel it would be cheaper than a bottle of water, who's overcharging who :?

Oil production's going to peak soon anyway, if it hasn't already, after which 95p's going to seem like a bargain. Google for "peak oil" or "hubbert peak" - there's plenty of info out there, and plenty of people in denial. :?

What can we do? Just by easing our foot on the throttle, that's what. Most of us would benefit from doing that (I include myself on occasions). Result? Less emissions, more m.p.g., and we would probably more than absorb the present price increases. Why waste the stuff to gain a few seconds before we have to stop at the next set of lights?

Cheers,

Trev. (whose wife has just changed from a Merc to a Micra :roll: - but she is only little).

Legalise all drugs. Tax them. Gradually take all taxes off oil to maintain the price at a quid a litre (as peak oil inevitably forces the prices up). Then we can all giggle ourselves towards oblivion. :p

I really don't want to get into the fuel efficiency boycotting debate as I'd love to be able to afford a big off-roader :oops: as I like the high-up driving position, but

Gill":3p76b6xz said:
The supermarkets are so much cheaper than Esso and BP stations that it's crazy buying it elsewhere, given the choice.
isn't quite fair as my car is much happier on Shell than on supermarket petrol - particularly Morrisons...
The car is more fuel-efficient, which more than makes up for the extra fuel cost and runs more smoothly - particularly at low revs.

Pete

PS If anyone want to donate £35k to my Lexus RX400h hybrid off-roader fund I won't object :wink:

I can only run my car on 98RON petrol - about 7-8p litre more than unleaded and only available at BP/Shell stations :(

Tony":230tq9jx said:
I can only run my car on 98RON petrol - about 7-8p litre more than unleaded and only available at BP/Shell stations :(

Hmm, simple - change car! 8) :wink: Why pay more? (to quote the famous advert). Their must be neglible benefit in the improvement in performance when driving normally, as in most circumstances you are speed limited by the car in front, the bus in front, etc etc, or the slowest car to pull away in a line of traffic from the traffic lights etc. Or even with a clear road - the difference between 0-30 on 95RON, or 0-30 on 98RON must only be due the difference in the (somewhat lighter if its 9p more expensive) weight of your wallet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adam

cambournepete":3j48h257 said:
I really don't want to get into the fuel efficiency boycotting debate as I'd love to be able to afford a big off-roader :oops: as I like the high-up driving position, but

Gill":3j48h257 said:
The supermarkets are so much cheaper than Esso and BP stations that it's crazy buying it elsewhere, given the choice.
isn't quite fair as my car is much happier on Shell than on supermarket petrol - particularly Morrisons...
The car is more fuel-efficient, which more than makes up for the extra fuel cost and runs more smoothly - particularly at low revs.

Pete

PS If anyone want to donate £35k to my Lexus RX400h hybrid off-roader fund I won't object :wink:

There was a huge debate about the differences in fuel quality over on the Audi TT forum earlier this year. People were saying that supermarket petrol is not as good as the essos / shells etc. This was exposed as a myth by a petroleum industry expert, as it's the same refineries producing the petrol for all the petrol supplies in the UK and big chunks of the Continent. The only differences was some of the higher RON fuels were marketed better by the "branded" big boys for performance cars e.g. Shell's Optimax.

Performance cars tend to like the higher RON content, but the average motorist would be unlikely to notice it in their family saloon

That Lexus is a nice car 8). Also like the new Discovery....but funds won't allow at the mo :(

Cheers

Howard

if they just started putting the tiger back in the petrol :D :D 8) vroom vroom .this is just for us oldies .

frank

Howjoe":2v0izael said:
There was a huge debate about the differences in fuel quality over on the Audi TT forum earlier this year. People were saying that supermarket petrol is not as good as the essos / shells etc. This was exposed as a myth by a petroleum industry expert, as it's the same refineries producing the petrol for all the petrol supplies in the UK and big chunks of the Continent. The only differences was some of the higher RON fuels were marketed better by the "branded" big boys for performance cars e.g. Shell's Optimax.

Perfectly correct - in Scotland,whatever it says on the pump,it came from the BP refinery in Grangemouth.
Around here,all diesel is from Petro-plus Seal Sands.
The petrol companies all "swap" petrol with each other,so it is always supplied from the nearest refinery,regardless of brand name.
Personally,I nearly always fill up at my local Jet garage,which is supplied by the Conoco refinery in Immingham.

Drove back down the M5 yesterday afternoon ( after visiting Yandles) and the road was solid with traffic. So whilst people are paying what is asked the price will most probably keep increasing.

Stop school runs to start with, and less petrol cost for us all, because of less traffic jams.

DW":3rev73a5 said:
Drove back down the M5 yesterday afternoon ( after visiting Yandles) and the road was solid with traffic. So whilst people are paying what is asked the price will most probably keep increasing.

Stop school runs to start with, and less petrol cost for us all, because of less traffic jams.

Careful DW - An easy response to this is also to say stop 100mile round trips to indulge your hobby.

The simple truth is that many people simply have to use the road system - we have no public transport to speak of and while I get most of my stuff delivered through mail order, I'm still paying for fuel - just someone else's. An ideal solution would be lots of local train services that stop at every village like they have in a lot of European countries but Beeching et al saw to that. Plus a large amount of our shopping is now geared to 'out of town' centres, which would'nt be reached by these stations anyway. People will always pay for convenience and consequently price hiking is an easy way of increasing the chancellor's coffers. It won't change behaviour - other pressures will do that. eg Smoking has declined because of the health implications not because fags have become so expensive (although a very minor percentage will have been stopped by that).

Adam":3hoaryao said:
Tony":3hoaryao said:

Hmm, simple - change car! 8) :wink: Why pay more? (to quote the famous advert). Their must be neglible benefit in the improvement in performance when driving normally, as in most circumstances you are speed limited by the car in front, the bus in front, etc etc, or the slowest car to pull away in a line of traffic from the traffic lights etc. Or even with a clear road - the difference between 0-30 on 95RON, or 0-30 on 98RON must only be due the difference in the (somewhat lighter if its 9p more expensive) weight of your wallet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adam

It won't run on 95RON without the knock sensor going wild etc. - it is a very highly tuned sports car and is tuned specifically for the higher octane fuel - worth the extra 9p even at 30mph behind a bus!!!

could be right about the weight though :lol:

when there is no car in front and nice clear twisty back road looms.......

Why is it worth the extra 9p (up from 7-8p) a litre at 30 m.p.h. behind a 'bus? :roll:

Watch out for the ped./cyclist/tractor around the bend on that nice clear twisty back road! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back