Petrol Cap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Needing to tap into the collective knowledge base on here, especially those with a knowledge of cars. Are screw-in petrl caps a universal size or do different manufacturers have their own bespoke design?

I've just tried the cap from my wife's Japanese car in my German car and it fits no problem so I think the answer is yes. Although I believe some high end sports cars have larger fuel pipes to accommodate race track filling pumps (just in case you drive a Lamborghini). :D
Paul

going back a few decades, but my dad left a cap at the petrol station. a mate got him another which fitted no problem, however one was vented and the other not. it sucked in the petrol tank over time (not sure if it was days or weeks) and I remember him telling me that they had to get a new tank as a result.

all I am saying is that there may be more to it than just whether it fits. times may have changed and they may be more standard now.

My wife managed to leave her petrol cap at a garage forecourt also. No prob it was going into an independent garage for service and MOT a few days later. They provided a new generic petrol cap rather than a Volvo one. Fast forward a year, same garage. Car fails its MOT cause the petrol cap doesn't fit properly. Needless to say I didn't pay for the new Volvo cap.

Mark

Bloke goes into a garage. “Do you have a petrol cap for my Lada?”

Garage worker responds “sounds like a fair swap”.

Fitz.

I’ll pickup my coat on my way out.

Trevanion":3qezp4rs said:
I've definitely been in petrol stations that had caps for sale on the shelves.

I thought that but last time I was in one they had bread, milk, sandwiches, books, CDs DVDs and all manner of stuuff but nothing motoring-related.

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back